Tacos v Enchiladas

You Love It.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Tacos v Enchiladas

Post by japhy »

My beloved Fernandez Taqueria in Monte Vista closed months ago after something like 30 plus years in business. The old dude who was chef, baker, server and cashier just decided he had enough. In spite of the name, I never ate a taco there. It was their tortas that stole my heart. Made with home made fry bread. You had a choice of pork or chicken, there was no need to do anything else. It has been reincarnated as Sabor de Vida. And they may be serving the tortas on fry bread! I will try them out in couple of weeks and let you give you my honest opinion afterwards.

And then there is Taqueria y Antojitos Los Lopez. Not a catchy name, we just call it the "torta place". They bake french bread for the tortas. The ocean is the antithesis of the Empire. And yet, their shrimp tortas are the muthfuckin bomb.

Mark these on yer map fur yer next Solstice trip amigos.

Gracias por su servicio de deuda, rubes.
Nero is an angler in the lake of darkness
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:03 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:01 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 6:52 pm gonna try my hand at hatch green chili enchilada sauce tomorrow

then smoked chicken enchiladas
Sounds delicious. Let us know how it goes.
i was hoping someone might chime in with some enchilada sauce experience

i’ll definitely report back
My salsa de chile verde

Heat pan, add olive oil, I dunno a couple of tablespoons.
Add diced onion, peeled seeded and diced Hatch green chiles and some chopped garlic. Cook over medium low heat until onions are soft, being careful not to burn the garlic.
Add spice mix of cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
Add flour, a tablespoon or two, and stir to make a roux.
Add in beef stock and stir. If I don't have homemade, I use better than bouillon.
Add slowly and stir until you get the thickness desired.
Check for salt.

Ladle over enchiladas and bake.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

y’all are awesome
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Absolutely. The wife tried 99's recipe and it was outstanding post-Royals game fare. She is from New Mexico and Hatch chilis are a staple.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

sauce is done…i think i could probably drink it, it’s so good

the recipe i was starting with was nearly identical to 99’s, but with chicken stock

also threw it in the blender for a couple shots at the end
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:19 pm sauce is done…i think i could probably drink it, it’s so good

the recipe i was starting with was nearly identical to 99’s, but with chicken stock

also threw it in the blender for a couple shots at the end
Nice
“By way of contrast, I'm not the one who feels the need to respond to every post someone else makes”
Psych- Every Single Time
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Glad you tried it and it worked out.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Note to self: Don't read this thread in the afternoon of the morning when you've finally managed to intermittently fast, i.e., starve, your way to a goal you've haven't seen since April.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so, is it normal for two people (who aren’t gluttons) to down a half casserole dish of enchiladas in one meal?

i used flour tortillas, but may go corn next time. also had the thought to do more of a chimichanga (with light fry), and forego the baking
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

No. Enchiladas were provided by the the gods.
“By way of contrast, I'm not the one who feels the need to respond to every post someone else makes”
Psych- Every Single Time
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Enchiladas should be corn tortillas
Broham
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have a small pork shoulder roast that I had planned on cooking in the smoker today. Mrs. 99 asked if it could be made into chile verde. Of course. I'm doing it a little different.
I thawed out a package of Hatch green chiles.
Seasoned the roast with chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, Lowrey's and onion and garlic powder.
Put in a roaster pan over some water and am currently slow roasting the thing at 325F.
I'll make the chile verde sauce above only using the juice in the roasting pan as stock, then dice up the cooked pork and add it.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:02 pm I have a small pork shoulder roast that I had planned on cooking in the smoker today. Mrs. 99 asked if it could be made into chile verde. Of course. I'm doing it a little different.
I thawed out a package of Hatch green chiles.
Seasoned the roast with chile powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, Lowrey's and onion and garlic powder.
Put in a roaster pan over some water and am currently slow roasting the thing at 325F.
I'll make the chile verde sauce above only using the juice in the roasting pan as stock, then dice up the cooked pork and add it.
do you skin before freezing?

my mom swears that the peeling process is easier if you freeze first, but i’m not so sure. i skin maybe 20% of the bushel after roasting and then freeze the rest in ~20% divisions, skinning each as needed after they’ve thawed
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:47 pm Enchiladas should be corn tortillas
i tend to agree, but didn’t have enough and thought it a waste to run to the grocer for just corn tortillas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I roast on my gas grill. I then put them in a container with a tight fitting lid until cool. They peel very easily at that point. I then portion and freeze.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

gotcha…i’m getting full bushels roasted at a time; too lazy to sit and peel it all at once
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah, I get a few pounds over several weeks.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Note to self: Never read this thread on an empty stomach, ever again.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

oh man.

so...

Quesabirria!

the tender meat and melty cheese and crispy corn tortillas and consommé and all of it, omg.

Also, been really digging Mi Campo tequila. It's blanco but "rested in wine barrels," which gives it just a little oaky fruity hue. Really really good as a tequila-soda-lime, in a Paloma, or just sipped on the rocks or neat. and it's only like $25 a bottle but could pass as much more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ew.
I hated Mi Campo.