Kansas Basketball.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Transfer portal 2022

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:27 am
TDub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:21 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:07 am

Not to be too dismissive because this kid is certainly talented, but isn't this guy essentially what we're betting on Grady Dick being? So yeah, it would make sense KU would be interested but not all-in on him.

If there's one thing this team doesn't exactly need, it's another wing, whether it's this guy or McCullar. I'd rather have Tyrese Hunter.
I actually think we do need a wing to emerge. we got 3 Potential PGs, stacked on Bigs...if CB and Jalen leave we've got Dick and maybe Rice depending on where he's at. We need another wing who can shoot and stretch the D
Nobody like this is going to want to be a backup wing behind Dick and that's what he would be.
we play 2 wings lot.....Och and CB never played together?
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I would be interested in Matt Mayer.

Of course Tyrese Hunter.

McCullar kind of disappointed last season, but he's a tough veteran.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:04 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:57 am

I don't like that that is happening in college, but I am surprised that you think it's definitely not happening in pro sports as well.
It'll be interesting to see how things settle here. You'd think that, perhaps in the same way that certain NBA markets have inherent advantages that sit outside the salary cap (weather, city, marketing opportunities etc.), certain college basketball programs (like KU, Duke, UNC, UK, etc.) will be destinations that have built-in advantages that differentiate from just cash.
I think an issue, at least right now, with college kids compared to pros is that $400k is more than enough to sway a young guy like Nijel Pack to a certain school. Whereas that would be a pretty laughable amount to a free agent NBA player.

The smaller deals are letting local companies get in on this.
Which of course is one of the things about all of this that is not at all favorable to blue bloods - this really should result in a democratization (lower-case-d) of the recruiting process. NIL is a playing field leveler (because it de-buffs the inherent blue blood advantages).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:38 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:04 am

It'll be interesting to see how things settle here. You'd think that, perhaps in the same way that certain NBA markets have inherent advantages that sit outside the salary cap (weather, city, marketing opportunities etc.), certain college basketball programs (like KU, Duke, UNC, UK, etc.) will be destinations that have built-in advantages that differentiate from just cash.
I think an issue, at least right now, with college kids compared to pros is that $400k is more than enough to sway a young guy like Nijel Pack to a certain school. Whereas that would be a pretty laughable amount to a free agent NBA player.

Which of course is one of the things about all of this that is not at all favorable to blue bloods - this really should result in a democratization (lower-case-d) of the recruiting process. NIL is a playing field leveler (because it de-buffs the inherent blue blood advantages).
Generally more interest/exposure in the bluebloods but agree that it gives the opportunity for other schools.

Probably not a huge coincidence that one of the first schools to break the "can't use it in recruiting" rule was a city/commuter school. Big market, lots of local companies, but not a great school/program.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:11 am so one of my fishing buddies, the UK fan, says his cousin played women's college ball in the 80s.

She went to some directional school that made a run to the final four.

even damn near 40 years ago, as a women's player at a directional school, she was being paid.
My favorite way of illustrating this point is that Blue Chips and The Program came out nearly THIRTY YEARS AGO. So, THIRTY YEARS AGO, the black market for players was already mature enough (and not-so-secret-enough) that high-budget, fictionalized accounts of it could be made.
Heads have been firmly placed in the sand for a long damn time.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think that's the bigger outrage to be had.

It's not that it's happening, so much as they just gotta hear about it.

they'd rather keep that shit in the shadows.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

One interesting aspect of the Nijel Pack deal will be how focused he remains. Dude is about to turn 21 in a couple of weeks, now has $400K and is living in Miami, FL after spending two years in Manhattan, KS.

Not wishing any ill will towards the kid, but it's possible he parties all fucking summer and doesn't have the kind of season that John Ruiz is hoping for.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hey people are breaking the speed limit here. And have been a while.

Well we should catch and punish those that are.

Nah, just remove the speed limit. Itll be fine. Everyone will love it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also funny example, Blue Chips.
Do you remember how that movie ended?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

move the speed limit to 80. Guarantees no one will go 90, there are rules against that.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:11 am so one of my fishing buddies, the UK fan, says his cousin played women's college ball in the 80s.

She went to some directional school that made a run to the final four.

even damn near 40 years ago, as a women's player at a directional school, she was being paid.
My favorite way of illustrating this point is that Blue Chips and The Program came out nearly THIRTY YEARS AGO. So, THIRTY YEARS AGO, the black market for players was already mature enough (and not-so-secret-enough) that high-budget, fictionalized accounts of it could be made.
Heads have been firmly placed in the sand for a long damn time.
I would have to guess that the vast majority of our NCAA sanctions are all related to "amateurism." Current investigation, Roy's graduation gifts, LB paying for a plane ride for a recruit. It's ridiculous.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:47 am Hey people are breaking the speed limit here. And have been a while.

But...this is a perfectly good (and historically-based!) analogy in support of modernizing the sport.

Speed limits have historically gone up on open roads as cars have become safer and more efficient at higher speeds.

In other words, the rules adapt to the world.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:00 am
pdub wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:47 am Hey people are breaking the speed limit here. And have been a while.

But...this is a perfectly good (and historically-based!) analogy in support of modernizing the sport.

Speed limits have historically gone up on open roads as cars have become safer and more efficient at higher speeds.

THIS. Hopefully we can get better leadership in the ncaa that is more proactive about adjusting these NIL rules as we go.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:41 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:38 am

Generally more interest/exposure in the bluebloods but agree that it gives the opportunity for other schools.

Probably not a huge coincidence that one of the first schools to break the "can't use it in recruiting" rule was a city/commuter school. Big market, lots of local companies, but not a great school/program.
Of course. And they're very very aggressive in trying to get people there (I remember getting their stuff for both college and law school).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 am

THIS. Hopefully we can get better leadership in the ncaa that is more proactive about adjusting these NIL rules as we go.
For the most part, NIL has gotten off the ground pretty smoothly and is making college sports better and less dirty.

But, there really should be common ground amongst everyone that any growing pains in the early execution of NIL is entirely the fault of the NCAA.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:31 am I would be interested in Matt Mayer.

Of course Tyrese Hunter.

Hunter #1.
After that I like the Missouri State kid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:05 am

I think the fundamental issue is that it's not really clear what the governing body/ies of college sports are supposed to be doing.

Are they supposed to be looking out for the purity of the sport, as a pursuit of amateur athletes? Classes and amateurism and so on? Then, fine, but the real mandate of that job is to transition college sports into something much less than what they are today.

Are they supposed to be growing the sport, as a product? That would suggest that competitive balance issues (transfer portal and $$ caps and so on) is the task. Then, fine, but the real mandate of that job is to professionalize college sports.

To be very clear: neither of these paths is, in and of itself, bad. But what's missing is the pie-in-the-sky path of things getting "cleaned up" but also maintaining at least the relevance that the sport has today.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We went from 30 to no speed limit in a residential to me. Already cars are going 90 down the street. Ok, the cars have better safety standards, but they are still going 90.

I dont wanna live on that road.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the kids should be able to retire after grinding it for 4-5 years at the semiprocollegiateathleticslike level.

it's high time. they been held down for long enough.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:13 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:31 am I would be interested in Matt Mayer.

Of course Tyrese Hunter.

Hunter #1.
After that I like the Missouri State kid.
Same.

Wish we could get some clarity on Jalen. I don't think anyone is going to tell CB that he has no shot at the 1st Round.