COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ousdahl »

Well, isn’t hesitancy among black communities largely correlated with being historically leery of vaccines and other healthcare initiatives, cuz of things like the Tuskegee experiments?

But the best part now is how all these magahead rural conservatives are convinced they’re just as victimized.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:34 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:31 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:29 pm

Would you say that to a black person that doesn't want the shot(s)?
The fuck does color have to do with it?
Proportionately speaking all the vaccine stuff (mandates, vilification of unvaxxed, restrictions on access to services/work, etc) impacts black people the most.
I truly have no idea the point you're trying to make. "Innocent my ass" applies to anyone who just chooses not to get the vaccine without medical justification.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and if I may genuine ask, how much sincerely held (and medically diagnosed or otherwise verified) “medical justification” really is there among anyone who chooses not to?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:36 pm Well, isn’t hesitancy among black communities largely correlated with being historically leery of vaccines and other healthcare initiatives, cuz of things like the Tuskegee experiments?

But the best part now is how all these magahead rural conservatives are convinced they’re just as victimized.
Part 1: yes. And less trust of various systems in general.

Part 2: i don't see much self victimization. Definitely a lot of the don't tell me what to do mindset, my body my choice, and sudden medical skeptics/experts.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:38 pm and if I may genuine ask, how much sincerely held (and medically diagnosed or otherwise verified) “medical justification” really is there among anyone who chooses not to?
I truly do not know what legitimate medical justifications there even are[/].
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:38 pm and if I may genuine ask, how much sincerely held (and medically diagnosed or otherwise verified) “medical justification” really is there among anyone who chooses not to?
I think it is entirely reasonable to be weary on long term health implications. They haven't been testing these for years and years, so there is unknown.

That risk didn't outweigh the covid risk for me personally.

PhD says there is very little to no long term risk. I trust him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:44 pm

Yeah me neither.

I guess if someone has a history of allergic or other severe reactions to vaccines or something?

And yeah sure maybe there will be long term effects. But again, that’s trying to way unknown long term effects of a vaccine, against unknown long term effects of a virus
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm Randy still seems to operate under this assumption that the vaccine may be an even bigger threat than the virus itself
How in the hell did you come to that conclusion?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa, didn’t mean to italicize that.

Apparently I’m having trouble controlling the volume of my voice

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:47 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:21 pm Randy still seems to operate under this assumption that the vaccine may be an even bigger threat than the virus itself
randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:19 pm And there's vaccinated people who still need treatment too.. with everything going on in the world, I don't blame people for hesitancy or for taking their chances. Stop blaming innocent citizens for being victims of the covid situation.

Or perhaps I should ask, for hesitancy or for taking their chances about what?
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:44 pm

And yeah sure maybe there will be long term effects. But again, that’s trying to way unknown long term effects of a vaccine, against unknown long term effects of a virus

*weigh*

But isn't that sort of the point? That people can weigh that risk on their own?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:53 pm
randylahey wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:19 pm And there's vaccinated people who still need treatment too.. with everything going on in the world, I don't blame people for hesitancy or for taking their chances. Stop blaming innocent citizens for being victims of the covid situation.

Take their chances with the virus since they're unvaxxed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ok, sure, let’s give them that.

And we’ve seen plenty of long term effects from covid already.

What long term effects have we seen from the vaccine?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:54 pm

Again, because the vaccine otherwise might be a bigger threat

orrrr?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:56 pm Ok, sure, let’s give them that.

And we’ve seen plenty of long term effects from covid already.

What long term effects have we seen from the vaccine?
I think there have been some reports of myocarditis associated with the vaccine, but important to note that it is much higher in people who actually get covid.

So unless you think you can avoid covid forever, which would be really hard unless you live in less populated rural areas, you're better off taking the chances of myocarditis with the shots.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:57 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:54 pm

Again, because the vaccine otherwise might be a bigger threat

orrrr?
No. I don't think any reasonable person would say the vaccine is definitely more dangerous than covid itself.

Some people are not scared of getting covid so they just don't want the shot. Just like they don't get the flu shot each year. I think that's risky, and selfish .
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A couple weeks ago I saw an anti-vaxxer share a vid of a woman having a seizure, apparently as a result of being vaxxed.

It was pretty dramatic stuff - from the driver’s seat of her car, she laid over across the passenger seat and twitched and squirmed and moaned and cried uncontrollably while her son sat in the back seat scared.

My first thought was, poor lady! Poor kid!

Then I thought, wait a sec, how is such a candid moment caught on video? Who has a camera apparently mounted on her glove box at an angle that perfectly catches all this? Maybe she has a camera pointed at her kid in the back or something?

Let’s give her that much. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that her involuntary seizure also happened when a camera was conveniently on, and had her and her kid perfectly in frame.

So what happened to the car that was otherwise being operated by her?

Were these the usual symptoms of a seizure? She’s yelling and screaming almost like she’s aware of what’s happening and trying to resist it, rather than involuntarily seizing up without being aware of it.

And her kid seems scared at first, but then eventually seems to go back to being just some disinterested kid? He makes no effort to check on or care for his mom, nor to seek help. He seems old enough to do so, but kids are kids, maybe he’s panicked or something.

And did she go to a doctor about this, or just go straight to post it on her anti-vax Facebook page?

But I didn’t post anything to cast doubt on the post itself, for fear of being…you know…insensitive to others…
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:10 pm A couple weeks ago I saw an anti-vaxxer share a vid of a woman having a seizure, apparently as a result of being vaxxed.

It was pretty dramatic stuff - from the driver’s seat of her car, she laid over across the passenger seat and twitched and squirmed and moaned and cried uncontrollably while her son sat in the back seat scared.

My first thought was, poor lady! Poor kid!

Then I thought, wait a sec, how is such a candid moment caught on video? Who has a camera apparently mounted on her glove box at an angle that perfectly catches all this? Maybe she has a camera pointed at her kid in the back or something?

Let’s give her that much. Maybe it’s just a coincidence that her involuntary seizure also happened when a camera was conveniently on, and had her and her kid perfectly in frame.

So what happened to the car that was otherwise being operated by her?

Were these the usual symptoms of a seizure? She’s yelling and screaming almost like she’s aware of what’s happening and trying to resist it, rather than involuntarily seizing up without being aware of it.

And her kid seems scared at first, but then eventually seems to go back to being just some disinterested kid? He makes no effort to check on or care for his mom, nor to seek help. He seems old enough to do so, but kids are kids, maybe he’s panicked or something.

And did she go to a doctor about this, or just go straight to post it on her anti-vax Facebook page?

But I didn’t post anything to cast doubt on the post itself, for fear of being…you know…insensitive to others…
Link?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

By taking their chances i mean just trusting your immune system to fight off a virus with a 99 percent survival rate. Its a pretty safe bet. If you don't tend to get sick there is little value in taking a vaccine that changes nothing for 90+% of people.

Especially given the nature of this vaccine. A few people have died from it. They might not have died from covid. Myocarditis has been noted as a symptom. Which heart inflammation is definitely not good. Vaccines often make people sick, they trigger a reaction within your immune system, covid itself has no symptoms within about half the reported cases

And there is a good chance you can avoid covid. Just because a virus is out there doesn't mean you'll get it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So like I continue to say. The vast majority of covid cases have either no symptoms or mild symptoms. It has a 99 percent survival rate. And that 1 percent is almost entirely the elderly, the obese, or people with other pre existing conditions. The vaccine changes almost nothing for most people. If you want that extra little bit of reassurance then get it, but its not something most people need. I understand why people would hold off on it. Time will tell us more about covid19 and potential treatments