Georgia reopening

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: Georgia reopening

Post by ChalkRocker »

Grandma wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:04 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:01 pm Fuck yeah, Illy's back!
Larryb.
?
...and yet more.

yay.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:59 pm Right. A lot of countries on the other side of the curve never shut down air travel/airports.

Trump deserves a lot of heat but the "you-didn't-shut-down-china" crowing is a little revisionist history.
The continual screaming about the "China ban" is mostly responses to Trump floating that turd back out there day in and day out trying to get someone to praise him. If he shut up about it, I suspect everyone else would to. There's too many media members out there for someone to not respond to it every time he does it.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

On a personal level, we're hoping that reopening things in Atlanta will keep the Atlantans occupied and they won't come to the beach. My neighbor seems like a hard-core GOPer who says that the Health Secretary in Georgia is very good and the Sec. says there is no problem whatsoever with the health systems in the state being overwhelmed. I guess we'll see.

My Republican operative friend said tonight this was about unemployment insurance. And bingo, there's a column by a Georgia political columnist:

If there’s no state order calling for businesses to be closed, the people who are unemployed can no longer claim that their unemployment is involuntary, even if it would be utter idiocy for them to return to work. A hairdresser or a massage therapist cannot maintain social distance. But they can certainly file for relief … unless the law says they can work.

snip

It is no coincidence that the businesses on this list are staffed by relatively poor people. Because that’s who he wants off the unemployment rolls. And if they die … well, they’re mostly black people, or Asian, and poor, and an acceptable political loss for a Republican governor.

The purpose of this isn’t to open up these businesses. It’s to get the workers there off the dole. Work, and die. Or don’t work … but you’re on your own. Because we can’t raise taxes to cover the time you spent trying to save your life and the lives of the people around you.

https://decaturish.com/2020/04/dear-dec ... al-murder/
Don't inject Lysol.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I saw that in a news recap I read every night/morning.

The old, possibly-apocryphal saw is no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

It is certainly true that now, you WILL go broke underestimating the bad faith of the GOP. While I'd like to think the piece you linked is sensationalistic and reactionary...it would fit in line with the general traps that are so often laid.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

So let's revisit the past couple of days.
Germany cancels Oktoberfest - A late September early October event.
Spain cancels the Running of the Bulls - A July event.
Georgia will open tattoo parlors - Friday.

shindig

Post by shindig »

So I'm guessing the MLB season is cancelled? Haven't heard much about it lately.
Deleted User 289

I don't have a good answer to your question shindig. I'm bumming many summer concerts have already been canceled.
Had a really difficult time answering my 86 year old mother's question today - "Do you think I will be able to go to the symphony, or a play, or a movie, ever again?"
If she was my age I would have answered - Sure.
Instead I answered - Probably won't be able to attend your classes (she takes classes at Northwestern) either.
Beautiful stuff, isn't it?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

shindig wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm So I'm guessing the MLB season is cancelled? Haven't heard much about it lately.
No big loss. Baseball is almost as pointless as soccer. If the NFL season is cancelled, well, that's another story.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 pm
shindig wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm So I'm guessing the MLB season is cancelled? Haven't heard much about it lately.
No big loss. Baseball is almost as pointless as soccer. If the NFL season is cancelled, well, that's another story.
I respect your not liking baseball but what about stadium workers who's livelihoods are dependent on baseball being played?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'd watch goddamned college field hockey at this point.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the wife and i have a nail-biter of a game of battlebags (walmart special, look it up)...ongoing for like 3 weeks now

who needs “pro” sports anyway...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Spitting prohibition to be strictly enforced:

South Korea, which is preparing to restart baseball, has had fewer than 100 new cases of coronavirus nationally each day in April. https://time.com/5823827/south-korea-da ... rus-cases/… The lowest number of new U.S. cases for any day in April is reportedly 24,685 (April 13), w/ a high of 34,243 (April 9).
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Grandma wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm
I respect your not liking baseball but what about stadium workers who's livelihoods are dependent on baseball being played?
Hmm. I believe the word you're looking for, Gutman, is "redundant."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Apparently in tonight's briefing, Trump is telling Georgia it's too soon to "open".

A lucid moment?

I wonder what he'll decide later tonight, or tomorrow about "opening"?
Derek Cressman
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 pm
eSports fans have prepped for this.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:00 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:11 pm

eSports fans have prepped for this.
There is no goddamn such thing as esports. Thats not a goddamn sport, its people playing stupid goddamn video games.

And get off my goddamn lawn
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

A sport isn’t a sport if the majority of the participants are still virgins.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Should just call it eGames because that's what it is.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:00 pm
Hadn’t thought of that. My bad.

I guess it’s only funny when the jobs lost are in higher education and the oil industry.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain