Automobiles

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:59 am in other news...as much as I didn't want to support anything elon...I did order starlink last night. It's gotten great reviews and is essentially my only real option out here..plus, they were having one helluva sale. So...we shall see how that goes
The reviews I've heard have been bigly positive.
I hope it exceeds your expectations*.

*Because God knows we don't want you any closer to civilization.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 12:25 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:59 am in other news...as much as I didn't want to support anything elon...I did order starlink last night. It's gotten great reviews and is essentially my only real option out here..plus, they were having one helluva sale. So...we shall see how that goes
The reviews I've heard have been bigly positive.
I hope it exceeds your expectations*.

*Because God knows we don't want you any closer to civilization.
well my expectations aren't too terrible high, the best is can do without starlink is 13mbs (or whatever the hell acronym is it) download speeds. I reckon it oughtta beat that easy.

and I agree, it's my opinion that I'm already to close to civilization and I'll be damned if I were to have to get any closer...
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“revving the engine”

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

According to Toyota executives who spoke to Reuters, the automaker plans to make a huge bet on gas-powered hybrid vehicles. 

The brand known for cult models like the Prius and hybrid versions of popular nameplates like the Corolla and RAV4, is planning to turn most, if not all, of its gasoline-powered nameplates into models solely offered with hybrid powertrains across its Toyota and Lexus brands.
Toyota's strong preference for hybrids over EVs is a mighty challenge to the sentiment of government officials and the greater auto industry, which believe that all cars of the future will be electric. 
In an interview, Toyota North America sales and marketing head David Christ told Reuters that the automaker's new models will be scrutinized for their viability to become hybrids.

According to an internal Toyota document shared to its U.S. dealer network that was viewed by Jalopnik, Toyota corporate body explained that its hesitation toward EVs is based on the lack of EV charging infrastructure, affordability and most importantly, a finite amount of critical resources like lithium, cobalt, nickel and graphite. 

The bigwigs explained something they called the 1:6:90 rule, where considering the amount of raw materials needed for the battery in one battery-electric vehicle designed for Americans' range anxiety, six plug-in hybrid batteries could be made or 90 batteries for hybrid-electric vehicles like the Prius or Camry. 

"For the same limited resources, instead of replacing one internal-combustion engine, you can replace 90," the Toyota executives said...
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

As a (former*) fully-electric car owner I think range-anxiety is tremendously overblown. I had a Nissan Leaf which had a 160 mile range. I was driving roughly 60 miles a day which is on the higher end of an average commuter. I’ve never once had an issue with charging or charger availability. For about 99% of people a 200-ish mile range battery would suffice for 99% of situations.

For longer distances a rental IC-engine vehicle would serve the needs. Is there a specific group of people for whom a hybrid or full IC vehicle is necessary? Surely. However, we shouldn’t make public policy to account for 1% of 1% of situations.

*Long story- key words are lease, pandemic, remote work, fully paid-for other car.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

where you live, perhaps. but you aren't everyone.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

It's around 194 mile round trip to my office on days I need to go into the office, which is only 1 or 2 days a week. Other days I can have appointments up to 2 hours (4 hour round trip) from where I live, but do a few times a year have appointments in the suburbs south of Chicago. I'd need either a hybrid or 2 vehicles. My wife doesn't travel far most days. Works from home. And then just local errands and taking the kids to and from school. Electric would work great for her.

My plan is for us to eventually have 1 fully electric vehicle and 1 hybrid or traditional vehicle.

On a global scale, the US will be much more equipped for the transition than many other large countries.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we’re looking hard at hybrid Rav4s and CRVs

damn things hold their value like you wouldn’t believe
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:57 pm we’re looking hard at hybrid Rav4s and CRVs

damn things hold their value like you wouldn’t believe
They also run forever (typically). My wife's parents had a rav4 with like 250,000 miles on it.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yeah, my family (for the most part) is all Toyota, and has been for decades
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm a big Toyota fan. they aren't cheap though.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:30 pm I'm a big Toyota fan. they aren't cheap though.
nope

my wife and i have never bought one new. usually something in the 30-50k mile range. these days though, you’re still looking at $30K+ with that kind of mileage
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I’ve owned five Accords in a row now. Only one of them died outright, at 260k.

2 others totaled. Was awesome as I aggressively pay off car loans, so neither had a lien and I basically got a new (used, as I also never buy new) car with the check USAA sent me.

Have 2 in driveway now. One has 275k on the engine, and runs like a champ still, minus a pulley being out of true, which is causing some noise via vibration.

I did look at/test drive a Camry this last go round when I bought. The accord is much more roomy, stylish, and powerful. The Toyota was quite vanilla in comparison. So I stayed with Honda.

As an aside: if you don’t use USAA and are eligible, do it! USAA:Great Service as Butter Bell:Spreadability.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the newer camrys are shit. we had a rental 2023 while our other car was having work done, and i’d still take our 2011 camry w/185k over the new one, all day every day
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 4:53 pm On a global scale, the US will be much more equipped for the transition than many other large countries.
What do you mean by this? I am not sure what "large countries" refers to or how the US will be better equipped for EVs.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

When I drive, it is a gas-guzzling (sad) Honda Element. My goal was to drive it to 250k miles. But rust from salt is going to be its downfall. I am at 174k miles now on a car about 19 years old. For something that depreciates, it is probably the best $6k I have ever spent. I can probably sell it for $3k now.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Element is a great cold weather car. Loved the concept.