Strikes

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Strikes

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:18 pm This is a common theme in this thread and across the boreds.

Me: what about this you guys?

Folks: but it never actually happens like this!

Me: here’s a first hand account of this happening.

Folks: you’re just making that up!
Ok. You're right that is unfair. I apologize.

In that scenario i would say it's awfully hard to find sympathy for a renter who is 1) that dumb and 2) continues renting from that property owner.

When i rented in college if we had something wrong we called. If they didn't do it fast enough then we called again. And if they still didn't do it (and it was something that is their legal responsibility to take care of) then you file a complaint and/or take them to court.

A lease agreement is to protect BOTH parties renting. Read yours. Understand it well. It is legally binding.

I am sorry for discounting your story or saying i think it's a lie. Totally unfair. I will try not to do it again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Much of it, here at least, is that there’s so much competition for housing.

Everyone knows it too.

Landlords know they can get away with slacking, since it’s so easy to find new renters. And renters know to put up with more than they should, since they’re otherwise facing literal homelessness.

Maybe that’s a point I wanted to make - I dunno if the threat of homelessness should be treated like just another market choice.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:18 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:14 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:09 pm

Our septic tank went out a couple years ago, actually.

Our landlord said, “that sucks! But hey can you and beav do me a favor go check out the septic system, I forgot where the lid to it is so just go look for it in the yard. If you can’t figure it out, can you call around for a septic guy? But you guys try to fix first. And in the meantime, better not use the plumbing.”

How is that something a renter doesn’t have to worry about?
Sorry, but sounds like a made up story.

And if it isn't then you're not very smart for staying a "couple more years" in his property.

There are laws landlords have to follow and if they don't you can file a lawsuit against them.
This is a common theme in this thread and across the boreds.

This is why people get frustrated when you, of all people, complain people are putting words in your mouth
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And yeah a lease is legally binding, but how many renters are in a position to sue a landlord?

Even if they have the resources to take it to court, they then are prob gonna piss off the landlord enough to make them not wanna renew the lease. So once again, the collateral damage may be literal homelessness.

There’s just such a skewed distribution of power at play here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Sorry, but sounds like a made up story.

And if it isn't then you're not very smart for staying a "couple more years" in his property.

There are laws landlords have to follow and if they don't you can file a lawsuit against them.

This is why people get frustrated when you, of all people, complain people are putting words in your mouth
Wut?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Mjl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Wut?
Who said "never"?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm Much of it, here at least, is that there’s so much competition for housing.

Everyone knows it too.

Landlords know they can get away with slacking, since it’s so easy to find new renters. And renters know to put up with more than they should, since they’re otherwise facing literal homelessness.

Maybe that’s a point I wanted to make - I dunno if the threat of homelessness should be treated like just another market choice.
This seems like a local political issue having to do with enforcement of ordinances. Someone is making too much money not enforcing the ordinances to change their stance. You don't have the money to fight that. One of my rules for buying real estate is check out the local politics and enforcement issues. I wouldn't buy there as I don't have enough money to fix or change things or to insulate myself from it. You don't either. Why would you buy into that?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm Much of it, here at least, is that there’s so much competition for housing.

Everyone knows it too.

They aren't facing homelessness though. They are facing having to move somewhere more affordable. That's different. In your scenario they're capable of paying rent (and then more rent).

Competition for housing is actually a good thing. It sucks for people who want to live there but can't afford it. Totally get that. But that's reality. You're not entitled to it staying affordable because you like it. There is a reason it costs more to live in Hawaii than it does Missouri. Demand.
Deleted User 863

If we want to have a debate about affordable low income housing then that's an entirely different discussion.

You're talking about 1 of the 10-20(?) most desirable areas in our country. There is only so much space and so many properties.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Everyone knows it too.

They aren't facing homelessness though. They are facing having to move somewhere more affordable. That's different. In your scenario they're capable of paying rent (and then more rent).

Competition for housing is actually a good thing. It sucks for people who want to live there but can't afford it. Totally get that. But that's reality. You're not entitled to it staying affordable because you like it. There is a reason it costs more to live in Hawaii than it does Missouri. Demand.
How do you know they have the economic mobility to just up and move?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:52 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Everyone knows it too.

How do you know they have the economic mobility to just up and move?
Again, they're going to have to. You said they were already paying rent. And kept paying rent as the prices increased. They're going to have to take personal responsibility that the area where they live is now too expensive due to how popular it has become.

They're not entitled to live there just because...
Deleted User 863

It's like being pissed that New York is more expensive to visit than Branson. And wanting NY to make everything cheaper (somehow?) so that people can go there instead of having to go to Branson.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 pm And yeah a lease is legally binding, but how many renters are in a position to sue a landlord?

Even if they have the resources to take it to court, they then are prob gonna piss off the landlord enough to make them not wanna renew the lease. So once again, the collateral damage may be literal homelessness.

If you have to take a landlord to court to get them to maintain their property then I don't understand why you would consider renewing your lease.

And feeling that there should be a more even distribution of power between those with money and those without seems to be a common theme from you. I wish I had better news for you but....
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I didn’t mean to pigeonhole this conversation just to resort town housing markets.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:58 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 pm And yeah a lease is legally binding, but how many renters are in a position to sue a landlord?

If you have to take a landlord to court to get them to maintain their property then I don't understand why you would consider renewing your lease.

And feeling that there should be a more even distribution of power between those with money and those without seems to be a common theme from you. I wish I had better news for you but....
The reason one would wanna renew is cuz there’s often zero available housing otherwise.

Locals rely mostly on word of mouth, cuz if it’s posted online anywhere, suddenly a bidding war breaks out between yall.

Trust me, no one wants to rent from a delinquent landlord.

I’d suggest that renters putting up with deadbeat landlords is just some market reality, but I don’t wanna be accused of making anything else up.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:59 pm And I didn’t mean to pigeonhole this conversation just to resort town housing markets.
But that's the only areas where it is even possible for your issue to exist.

If there isn't demand (significant demand) you can't drive up the purchase prices of properties or the market rents for rental units.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I was gonna try to find some tdub post that would have segued, but bear in mind that a lot of the folks telling ski town locals to “just deal with it” are also the folks throwing tantrums about long waits at restaurants around town due to lack of staffing.

Yall go from telling locals they just gotta move if they want a home to live in too, to wanting locals here after all.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:59 pm And I didn’t mean to pigeonhole this conversation just to resort town housing markets.
Actually, there’s plenty of landlords in non-resort markets too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But shoot, I think we could all use a cup of chamomile or something
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:04 pm
Actually, there’s plenty of landlords in non-resort markets too
Yes. But they can't do a shitty job at being a landlord and keep their tenants in 99.9% of places. They take their business elsewhere.