In this thread, the "experts" own Lobs

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: In this thread, the "experts" own Lobs

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i can’t stand big pharma, generally

but to pretend that they’re making more money off of vaccinating people than they would by treating the disease and symptoms of unvaccinated people is just lazy and dishonest
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm I think it’s possible to be a little leery of big pharma, while also thinking the vaccines have been created and administered in good faith.
Big Pharma makes business decisions. They, as an entity have no soul and are driven by profits.

Individual people made the vaccines and did so because they wanted to save lives, and wanted to end the pandemic. They, (those people involved in development and testing) wanted to make a safe and effective vaccine, and they were wildly successful in doing so.

When big pharma charges out the ass for insulin, it's completely unethical and shameful. But the people who purify and produce insulin are doing a great thing.

The vaccine, or drug development in general, isn't the problem with big pharma, what would have been a problem is if they'd let the market determine the price of the vaccine and had bidding wars over who could get it. They weren't allowed to do that here.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, keep in mind, most of the vaccines were collaborations between big pharma and academia, who had done so much work already with the SARS vaccine.

Academics are wonderful people who provide for their fellow man and are productive and ethical in every regard.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Well, if they were so sure of safety, they would take responsibility of their product. Everyone else does this. Can't sue them or do anything against them if you get hurt.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Consider the frequency of deaths and serious illness and lingering effects from the millions of covid patients, compared to the frequency of deaths and serious illness and lingering effects from the hundreds of millions of vaccine recipients...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:10 pm Academics are wonderful people who provide for their fellow man and are productive and ethical in every regard.
thank you for my big laugh of the day.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm Well, if they were so sure of safety, they would take responsibility of their product. Everyone else does this. Can't sue them or do anything against them if you get hurt.
Turns out to be a moot point since there really isn't anything to sue for, other than a potential link with two vaccines, one not used in the US, and blood clots, and that link is incredibly rare and also the blood clots are treatable.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Some do care, but a lot of academics only care about their paycheck. It's no different than any other industry. Some good ones, some that only care about their luxury lifestyle.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 pm Some do care, but a lot of academics only care about their paycheck. It's no different than any other industry. Some good ones, some that only care about their luxury lifestyle.
If academics cared only about their paychecks they'd have chosen higher paying, easier to get professions.

There is no luxury lifestyle for the vast majority of academics. In fact, most forego higher earnings in lieu of other things.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, in many cases, if academics really only cared about a paycheck, wouldn’t couldn’t shouldn’t they just go work in another industry?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Phd said it first.

In law school, there was this joke:

The A students become law professors, the B students become judges, and the C students become lawyers...
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Walrus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:22 pm Some do care, but a lot of academics only care about their paycheck. It's no different than any other industry. Some good ones, some that only care about their luxury lifestyle.
How are you an expert in EVERY topic?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Overlander wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:37 pm How are you an expert in EVERY topic?
probably the same way:

phd
trad
cnb
jfish
japhy
zsn

are experts on every single topic. it's called "self proclaimed interwebs" geniusness. many users have it.
Deleted User 89

fail

and still not addressing your own hypocrisy
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:37 pm How are you an expert in EVERY topic?
probably the same way:

phd
trad
cnb
jfish
japhy
zsn

are experts on every single topic. it's called "self proclaimed interwebs" geniusness. many users have it.
Any list without mich on it is incomplete.

Quit selling yourself short, you might be the mist arrogant know it all here.

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:43 pm
probably the same way:

phd
trad
cnb
jfish
japhy
zsn

I wasn't asking you.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'm curious why we no longer value expertise?

If it's a legal topic, I'll defer to JFish or CnB. If it's something where I'm an expert and they're the novice, like Molecular biology or anything to do with basketball, they should defer to my expertise.

Why is intelligence or experience in a topic a bad thing?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that’s a yuge issue for Merica right now.
Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:48 pm I'm curious why we no longer value expertise?

If it's a legal topic, I'll defer to JFish or CnB. If it's something where I'm an expert and they're the novice, like Molecular biology or anything to do with basketball, they should defer to my expertise.

Why is intelligence or experience in a topic a bad thing?
because some think their opinions are just as valid, even if those opinions are based on inadequate, flawed, or just downright false information
Deleted User 89

i mean, if i’ve got a brain tumor i’m not going to see a fucking podiatrist

maybe that’s just me tho