Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by japhy »

So it is now officially a pandemic, and discussions will be secret.

WASHINGTON, March 11 (Reuters) - The White House has ordered federal health officials to treat top-level coronavirus meetings as classified, an unusual step that has restricted information and hampered the U.S. government’s response to the contagion, according to four Trump administration officials.

The officials said that dozens of classified discussions about such topics as the scope of infections, quarantines and travel restrictions have been held since mid-January in a high-security meeting room at the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), a key player in the fight against the coronavirus.

Staffers without security clearances, including government experts, were excluded from the interagency meetings, which included video conference calls, the sources said.

“We had some very critical people who did not have security clearances who could not go,” one official said. “These should not be classified meetings. It was unnecessary.”

The sources said the National Security Council (NSC), which advises the president on security issues, ordered the classification.“This came directly from the White House,” one official said.

The White House insistence on secrecy at the nation’s premier public health organization, which has not been previously disclosed, has put a lid on certain information - and potentially delayed the response to the crisis. COVID19, the disease caused by the virus, has killed about 30 people in theUnited States and infected more than 1,000 people.

I am sure if we asked nicely we can get a perfect transcript of the conversations.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:35 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:17 am

Sort of. But there's been no shortage, in other matters, of "not a mob boss but I play one on low-budget TV" behavior from the top, hamhandedly isolating himself from being the trigger man.
I'll be blunt: I think you're fixating. Trump is a problem, maybe the biggest problem. But he is NOT the only problem. And if we all fixate on the political problem exclusively, ignoring the administrative problem, we guarantee that it will happen again. And again. And again.
No doubt.

But, bluntly, I'm responding to what I perceive as a high-minded constitutional conservative stance that seeks, to a degree, to whitewash the role likeminded people played in things getting to where we're at, generally.

Which is: god fucking damn, did the GOP let some truly crazy shit happen because they were making a lot of policy hay in the vacuum that exists because Trump doesn't have a policy bone in his body.

And now the bill is coming due. We have a reactionary, shallow, narcissistic, can't-see-past-tomorrow know-nothing executive leading a consortium of crippled agencies, which executive has not two months ago been given the legislative seal of approval to use the powers of his office in furtherance of personal gain.

To be very clear - my reaction is not intended to be specific to or an indictment of you, DC. It is a reaction to a school of thought that I encounter frequently, and that I find highly objectionable for its selectivity of memory and lack of introspection.
I've written about five responses to this, each Gutter-bored-on-Sunday-morning in length (no offense, Gutman), but none of them was very good. I think the scope of the problem is much larger and recalcitrant than one man or even one party. But it does little good to argue that point when that one man and his one party are so obviously still exacerbating, rather than alleviating the nations's concerns and problems.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Racism may be the biggest symptom of Coronitas.

I am, I said.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hey dumbass. A lot people arent patronizing any restaurants because theyve been told to avoid public gatherings

*dumbass is not intended to reflect on Soklous.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Anything aoc can do to gin up the hysteria is fair game.

She’s a ding dong.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Prescient:

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

What is the relative decline in restaurant visits for Asian (specifically Chinese and Korean) vs all restaurants? I’m willing to wager that the decline in the Asian restaurants is larger. I would attribute that to benign ignorance more than intentional racism but the two aren’t unrelated.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Italian Medical Chief. Dead. Its just the flu though.....
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm What is the relative decline in restaurant visits for Asian (specifically Chinese and Korean) vs all restaurants? I’m willing to wager that the decline in the Asian restaurants is larger. I would attribute that to benign ignorance more than intentional racism but the two aren’t unrelated.
qft

/thread
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Can't believe I forgot to think of this:

Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm I would attribute that to benign ignorance more than intentional racism but the two aren’t unrelated.
Of course you would.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:29 pm
zsn wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:18 pm What is the relative decline in restaurant visits for Asian (specifically Chinese and Korean) vs all restaurants? I’m willing to wager that the decline in the Asian restaurants is larger. I would attribute that to benign ignorance more than intentional racism but the two aren’t unrelated.
qft

/thread
Well...as long as you eat only Sichuan or Mongolian
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Derek Cressman
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Gonna send all the people in Wuhan back to work and back to the markets and back onto public transportation.

And the numbers are going go back up.

Not that we'll ever know.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Holy shit, they really are bat shit crazy.....In a Fox Business Network interview Wednesday, Trump campaign spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany claimed, without evidence, that political considerations — and not coronavirus concerns — are the reason Biden has canceled his recent events.

“Joe Biden is looking for an excuse to get off the campaign trail, and let me just add, the media’s best hope is for Donald Trump to suspend his rallies,” McEnany said. “They’ve been wanting him to stop this, they know it’s his avenue to speak directly to the American people. So, we’re going to follow the president’s lead; we’re not going to cave to the media. And Joe Biden, we’re certainly not going to follow his lead as he tries to hide from the American people.”

Biden and Sanders called off their Tuesday night campaign rallies in Ohio after Mike DeWine, the state’s Republican governor, suggested that the campaigns to do so in an effort to stem the spread of the coronavirus.

McEnany also defended Trump’s decision to continue holding large campaign rallies despite the advice of experts, including Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
“The president is the best authority on this issue,” McEnany said. “He takes into consult the words of everyone around him. That would include [Health and Human Services Secretary] Alex Azar; that would include Dr. Fauci; that would include others. So, I’ll leave it to the president. Right now, we’re proceeding as normal.”

She also said that there is no need for Trump to stop shaking hands with supporters, arguing that it’s part of the president’s job.

“He’s taking precautions, he’s washing his hands — we’re all doing that, but he’s a man of the people, he talks to the people, he shakes their hands. That’s the nature of the business,” she said.

On the same day that the NCAA declares they will play the big dance in empty arenas, the cult marches on to glorify their leader. Let this sink in one more time, she said, "The President is the best authority on this issue".
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

No matter what the truth is, there is good chance a debate with Bernie and no audience would cancel the election.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

japhy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:56 pm So it is now officially a pandemic, and discussions will be secret.

WASHINGTON, March 11 (Reuters) - The White House has ordered federal health officials to treat top-level coronavirus meetings as classified, an unusual step that has restricted information and hampered the U.S. government’s response to the contagion, according to four Trump administration officials.

The officials said that dozens of classified discussions about such topics as the scope of infections, quarantines and travel restrictions have been held since mid-January in a high-security meeting room at the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), a key player in the fight against the coronavirus.

Staffers without security clearances, including government experts, were excluded from the interagency meetings, which included video conference calls, the sources said.

“We had some very critical people who did not have security clearances who could not go,” one official said. “These should not be classified meetings. It was unnecessary.”

The sources said the National Security Council (NSC), which advises the president on security issues, ordered the classification.“This came directly from the White House,” one official said.

The White House insistence on secrecy at the nation’s premier public health organization, which has not been previously disclosed, has put a lid on certain information - and potentially delayed the response to the crisis. COVID19, the disease caused by the virus, has killed about 30 people in theUnited States and infected more than 1,000 people.

I am sure if we asked nicely we can get a perfect transcript of the conversations.
everyone should be bothered by this
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:30 pm Hey dumbass. A lot people arent patronizing any restaurants because theyve been told to avoid public gatherings

*dumbass is not intended to reflect on Soklous.
citizens have literally been asking if they can get the virus from eating chinese food

not racist, necessarily (but that may very well be the case for some), but woefully dumb/ignorant/ill-informed
Deleted User 89

said better than i