What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by ousdahl »

And re: movies, it kinda makes you wonder which among today’s offerings will go down as classics.

I could see the Fast franchise enduring in some respect, just cuz it has a hot diverse cast compared with mindless exciting action. It appeals on some lowest common denominator level. but yea it’s also not exactly The Godfather
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 am And re: movies, it kinda makes you wonder which among today’s offerings will go down as classics.

I could see the Fast franchise enduring in some respect, just cuz it has a hot diverse cast compared with mindless exciting action. It appeals on some lowest common denominator level. but yea it’s also not exactly The Godfather
IMO: The general public tends to poo poo on the academy awards and Cannes, but those make up the majority of the movies that will be recognized by the likes of the Library of Congress and Criterion, etc. Academy could do a better job of recognizing lower budget and international films, and Cannes does a great job of looking down their noses at blockbusters that will live on, but between the two, you get a picture of what will.

All that said, streaming could really change this moving forward.

I'm not that into music, and don't know shit about it, but it feels different in the sense that popularity plays a much bigger role in living forever.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:25 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am Are there any objective metrics that go into these lists? Record sales or airtime or some other way to measure besides just some intern who had to have a list on the editor’s desk by 9am tomorrow?
Music is weird. Totally fine with recognizing Outkast for their greatness. Hey Ya isn't close to my favorite Outkast song. Hell, it's not even an Outkast song. Favorite might be Player's Ball, Rosa Parks, idk. No one's going to remember those like Hey Ya, though.
Rosa Parks and Da Art of Story Tellin’

Aquemini wasn’t such a good album
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:48 am
ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am Are there any objective metrics that go into these lists? Record sales or airtime or some other way to measure besides just some intern who had to have a list on the editor’s desk by 9am tomorrow?
Music is weird. Totally fine with recognizing Outkast for their greatness. Hey Ya isn't close to my favorite Outkast song. Hell, it's not even an Outkast song. Favorite might be Player's Ball, Rosa Parks, idk. No one's going to remember those like Hey Ya, though.

Fun to say though!

B.O.B really is a good song, too.

Feels different now, but those were all in the time where you'd save up to buy an album and have to/want to listen to the whole thing through rather than seemingly everything now is so singles based.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Music does feel more timeless tho
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I didnt hate aquemini. spoodieoodiedopeliscious is a good song

ATLiens was better. Elevators is a damn good song.

not a huge outkast fan but its hit and miss i could never listen to their whole albums...pick and choose what to put on my dope ass mix CDs haha
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:03 am

I didnt hate aquemini. spoodieoodiedopeliscious is a good song

ATLiens was better. Elevators is a damn good song.

not a huge outkast fan but its hit and miss i could never listen to their whole albums...pick and choose what to put on my dope ass mix CDs haha
yeah, ATLiens was fantastic

i even liked The Love Below...Speakerbox not so much
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Shitty pics but a great day Sunday.....

Melvin Seals

G Love & Special Sauce

Fortunate Youth

Thievery Corporation

Gary Clark Jr.

Portugal. The Man

I'm looking forward to Dead & Company at Wrigley tomorrow and Saturday!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Couple of my buddies just went to dead and company in St Louis and said it was incredible.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 pm Shitty pics but a great day Sunday.....

Melvin Seals

G Love & Special Sauce

Fortunate Youth

Thievery Corporation

Gary Clark Jr.

Portugal. The Man

I'm looking forward to Dead & Company at Wrigley tomorrow and Saturday!
Great bands! I really like Thievery Corporation. Rob Garza is an amazing musician and artist.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ive only ever heard of Gary Clark of those offerings
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:40 am Very fair about Radiohead.
I would argue their sound has definitely changed dramatically - but for sure, it's all pretty dark since OK Computer.
This is why I chose Paranoid Android as the song and not, say, Burn The Witch.
Disagree. In Rainbows I would consider less dark than OK Computer. I'd consider that their best album and I don't think it's close. Personal opinion of course.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 am ive only ever heard of Gary Clark of those offerings
https://youtu.be/1t7W6NtTKAw

If this type of music is to your liking, you should check out The Sound Defects, kind of a smoky David Lynch vibe:
https://youtu.be/M_SWi4SPuZs
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:43 pm
I would argue their sound has definitely changed dramatically - but for sure, it's all pretty dark since OK Computer.
Disagree. In Rainbows I would consider less dark than OK Computer. I'd consider that their best album and I don't think it's close. Personal opinion of course.
Could I ask what songs in particular you consider less dark?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 pm
Mjl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:43 pm
Could I ask what songs in particular you consider less dark?
All of them?
Talking in terms of the music moreso than lyrics. In Rainbows is kinda trancy, almost dancy. Compare that to something from OK Computer, like, say, Karma Police, that sounds practically like a funeral dirge.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

By all pretty dark, I meant compared to most music.

Even In Rainbows is "darker" than your average song. Aka some of Pink Floyds happier pyschsellingboats kinda stuff is still "dark" compared to Luke Bryan.

Some of Radioheads really early stuff, as Ous pointed out, was generally lighter.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also his forehead might be 2.5 percent bigger but ous's new avatar is eye catching.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s like 10 percent more eye catching!
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Yeah, I need to step my avatar game up.

But, these damn size limits!