Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by Overlander »

zsn wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:44 am Not if you can make 5% elsewhere with that money. Net of taxes 30-year rate is around 2%. That’s why it never made sense to pay the extra principal for home loans. Power of compounding allows one to make a lot more in an index fund and then payoff the remaining loan after 25 years, and still have money left!
Yeah, if you can borrow at a lower rate than you can earn.....borrow.

Keep your powder dry.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm looking forward to housing prices finally actually coming down (which of course they will), and then "Manatee" or "Squid" or whatever he'll register under will come here and gloat.

Which would not just be a broken clock being right twice a day, but a page-a-day calendar sheet for February 29 being right once every four years.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 am
I'm looking forward to housing prices finally actually coming down (which of course they will), and then "Manatee" or "Squid" or whatever he'll register under will come here and gloat.

Which would not just be a broken clock being right twice a day, but a page-a-day calendar sheet for February 29 being right once every four years.
you and me both

what that perspective apparently left out, which i commented on a few weeks ago, is that there is a literal shortage of houses being built and that this has been the case since 2010ish. we’re something like 20mil houses below where we would have been if not for that collapse

i’m sure the market will adjust, just not as much as many of us would like
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:27 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:08 am

you and me both

what that perspective apparently left out, which i commented on a few weeks ago, is that there is a literal shortage of houses being built and that this has been the case since 2010ish. we’re something like 20mil houses below where we would have been if not for that collapse

i’m sure the market will adjust, just not as much as many of us would like
Prior to 2010ish were they building way too many new constructions?

Myrtle Beach is a prime example of that happening. They built so much shit expecting never ending growth and now there are developments with 50%+ vacancy because there aren't enough people to fill each house/condo.

Maybe I am confused on your point. Are you saying not enough houses are being built in general? Or just commenting on the trend?

Banks were financing a lot more spec houses back then. That was risky and didn't work out. Maybe that skews that trend in new constructions?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Supreme Court rejects eviction moratorium extension
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Gotta feel for landlords.

Some of them are wealthy, sure.

But many of them are living from your paycheck to your next paycheck.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm Gotta feel for landlords.

Yes, we should assign everyone housing, everyone gets a one bedroom room apartment. It'll be great. Just like the good ole days of the Soviet Union. And yes, I will continue to put words in your mouth on this subject until you can state what it is, policy wise, that you actually want
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He has no idea but reddit says all landlords are bad mmkay
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Reddit lulz
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:46 pm Gotta feel for landlords.

Yes, we should assign everyone housing, everyone gets a one bedroom room apartment. It'll be great. Just like the good ole days of the Soviet Union. And yes, I will continue to put words in your mouth on this subject until you can state what it is, policy wise, that you actually want
Please refer to my response in the strikes thread
Deleted User 863

We can't all be kings and queens. The world needs ditch diggers too.

We can't all live in amazing Colorado. Some of us have to live in central IL.

Find the sweet spot for whatever your skills are and whatever your financial situation can sustain.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Poor man wanna be rich
Rich man wanna be king
And the king ain’t satisfied
Til he rules everything

Whoa whoa whoa whoa
Deleted User 863

I don't want to be a king.
I don't want to be rich.
I just want to be happy and enjoy my time on this earth.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

take it up with the boss
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But for real, who knows how much truth there is to those lyrics.

But to your point about just wanting to be happy and enjoying your time - happiness and quality of life are lot easier to come by with financial stability.

Then again.. “Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy a wave runner. You ever seen a sad person on a wave runner?”

There are a lot of accounts of therapists saying so many of their patients’ mental health problems would be solved by just not having to spend their lives in economic survival mode.

I’d imagine many poor people don’t necessarily wanna be rich per se, so much as they just wanna be not poor.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:04 pm But for real, who knows how much truth there is to those lyrics.

But to your point about just wanting to be happy and enjoying your time - happiness and quality of life are lot easier to come by with financial stability.

Then again.. “Money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy a wave runner. You ever seen a sad person on a wave runner?”

There are a lot of accounts of therapists saying so many of their patients’ mental health problems would be solved by just not having to spend their lives in economic survival mode.

I’d imagine many poor people don’t necessarily wanna be rich per se, so much as they just wanna be not poor.
You wouldn't be in economic survival mode if you lived in an area with a more reasonable cost of living.

Have you ever considered moving?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes.

Jeez man, stop making everything about me.

Imma move to the empire to be japhy’s barista.

Didn’t you hear?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sorry to say, Ousie, but it seems that your ideal career aspirations aren’t likely to be all that lucrative financially
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea you’re right.

Better just overthrow the system instead.