Strikes

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Strikes

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:53 pm Is it really worth suing for like $200?

And a shower head.

I was mostly just glad to wash my hands of it.

(And move into a new place with these chicks, and two dogs…ohh have I mentioned them?!)

And…mah rights? Go figure it’s you guys schooling me about laws regulating the free market.
The threat alone, along with quoting the law they are violating (again, stop bitching about the landlord having all the leverage if you won't even read what the actual laws are) will get your deposit back.

Yes, we apparently have to school you on laws regulating the free market because you don't seem to understand they exist.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Google “battle of Blair Mountain.” 100 years ago this week.

Biggest uprising on U.S. soil since the civil war (and since?), and the biggest labor uprising in U.S. history.

Basically tens of thousands of WV coal miners wanted to unionize, which was met with violent opposition by coal companies, who countered with private militants for hire, state National guardsmen, and eventually federal troops.

Private planes dropped homemade bombs, surplus WW1 poison gas and explosives were used as weapons, by U.S. businessmen and U.S. military, on U.S. soil, against U.S. citizens

all cuz they wanted to unionize
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:37 pm Google “battle of Blair Mountain.” 100 years ago this week.

Biggest uprising on U.S. soil since the civil war (and since?), and the biggest labor uprising in U.S. history.

Basically tens of thousands of WV coal miners wanted to unionize, which was met with violent opposition by coal companies, who countered with private militants for hire, state National guardsmen, and eventually federal troops.

Private planes dropped homemade bombs, surplus WW1 poison gas and explosives were used as weapons, by U.S. businessmen and U.S. military, on U.S. soil, against U.S. citizens

Precedent had already been set:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

An open letter to Airbnb

https://survivingtomorrow.org/an-open-l ... 1b58b4ad33
Like it or not, your company is now the tip of the spear in a movement that is rapidly commodifying global residential real estate. You’re leading the charge in turning a human necessity into a tradeable commodity. Access to affordable shelter is a universal human right, and you’re devastating real people.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:08 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:37 pm Google “battle of Blair Mountain.” 100 years ago this week.

Precedent had already been set:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre
You know you drive right by the monument on your way to the Empire. Exit 27 south of Walsenburg.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:15 am An open letter to Airbnb

I write to you today in the hope that you will radically re-structure your company before it starts a class war in which you will almost certainly lose the lion's share of your wealth, your moral conscience, your place in history as innovators instead of oppressors, and you and your family’s physical safety.

Storm the Bastille! What a pissy ass drama queen.

You don't get to decide to opt out of "the economy" and then rewrite the rules of "the economy" to fit your wants and desires. You change the economy by participating in it and figuring out a way to use it to provide the things you think are important.

Kinda like the way the people who started airbnb did.

It's a lot more work and risk than writing puerile manifestos, but hey, it can actually affect change.

Somewhere out there Overlander will be building a little fire this evening and mixing up manhattans. You should sit down, shut the fuck up and listen to him while you drink. And then get up the next morning and go help Defix build something useful.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Clapping emoji
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the average house is going to cost more than $10mil in 50 years?

ok

(it’s right around $300k now)
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 am

I write to you today in the hope that you will radically re-structure your company before it starts a class war in which you will almost certainly lose the lion's share of your wealth, your moral conscience, your place in history as innovators instead of oppressors, and you and your family’s physical safety.

You don't get to decide to opt out of "the economy" and then rewrite the rules of "the economy" to fit your wants and desires. You change the economy by participating in it and figuring out a way to use it to provide the things you think are important.

It's a lot more work and risk than writing puerile manifestos, but hey, it can actually affect change.

Somewhere out there Overlander will be building a little fire this evening and mixing up manhattans. You should sit down, shut the fuck up and listen to him while you drink. And then get up the next morning and go help Defix build something useful.
And just so we are clear Ousy; this is not attempt to get you to join us. I don't think you would last a year in the Empire. Not trying to be mean, just being honest with you. Y'all are welcome as tourists though. Think of it as educational tourism.

I think you could use a change of scenery now and then, and it would be good for you to hang out with some growed ups with a vision and see how they work.

If you were supposed to be in the Empire you would have already been working on it. The place chooses you and it demands a commitment. Overlander was only there for a couple of days at Solstice and was texting me about how to get involved out there before he got back home. It grabbed him. There is something to be learned from people who hear a calling. That doesn't happen on a message board, you have to be there.
Deleted User 902

Post by Deleted User 902 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:11 am the average house is going to cost more than $10mil in 50 years?

ok

50 years ago it was $25k. Median right now is $330k, a 13x increase. 13x $300k is about $4mil. With an exponential increase, I could see more. Houses expensive y’all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

dub needs a codpiece wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:11 am the average house is going to cost more than $10mil in 50 years?

ok

50 years ago it was $25k. Median right now is $330k, a 13x increase. 13x $300k is about $4mil. With an exponential increase, I could see more. Houses expensive y’all.
Perfect. Ill rent it to Q'dahl for the next 25. He can pay my mortgage plus some, then ill sell it for a couple mill.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The human population keeps growing, but it’s not like we’re manufacturing any more land.

And this time around, it’s less about working class Mericans buying their own residential home in pursuit of some Merican dream, and more about the wealthy interests gobbling up real estate as a matter of hoarding more wealth.

But don’t nobody pay no mind to that! Just shut the fuck up and keep drinking your Manhattan.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:03 pm
japhy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 am

And just so we are clear Ousy; this is not attempt to get you to join us. I don't think you would last a year in the Empire. Not trying to be mean, just being honest with you. Y'all are welcome as tourists though. Think of it as educational tourism.

I think you could use a change of scenery now and then, and it would be good for you to hang out with some growed ups with a vision and see how they work.

If you were supposed to be in the Empire you would have already been working on it. The place chooses you and it demands a commitment. Overlander was only there for a couple of days at Solstice and was texting me about how to get involved out there before he got back home. It grabbed him. There is something to be learned from people who hear a calling. That doesn't happen on a message board, you have to be there.
DC’s back! Missed you too pal. Did you like your new socks? Has anyone read your book besides Japhy?

Oh! Heh heh, sorry Japhy. Based on the way you’re shamelessly talking down on me, I had you mistaken for someone else.

Cuz for real dude, when did you become so condescending?

And you know what? You got me! I’m not sure I’d last a year in the Empire either. You’ll have to forgive me if I’m a little hesitant to bet my life savings on being your own personal barista for a few weekends a year, and in the meantime crossing my fingers that enough potato farmers develop a taste for lattes for me to maybe break even some day.

And I should also mention, as a whole I want out of the tourism industry. Never say never, maybe some good something will come, but I otherwise would rather not have to kiss yall’s asses as a matter of career advancement any more. And I need to check my notes, but it seems most of the opportunities in the Empire seem pretty tourism oriented.

And apparently we’re cool enough with one another to not have to sugar coat it, cuz as a whole, the Empire seems like an incredibly boring place. It’s really not that close to any mountains, or public land, or trails, or water, or ski slopes, or hot springs, or the other attractions that make Colorado an attraction. In terms of development, those seem like big obstacles.

And in terms of actually living there full time - well heck, not even you want to live there full time, right? I’m leaning much more toward somewhere more progressive, a college town perhaps, where I can sit around dive bars with my comrades and talk about overthrowing the system. I think you’ll agree, the Empire probably isn’t the venue for that.

Perhaps there will be some amenities built. Sounds cool! Get the infrastructure for a few festivals a year and stuff. Great! But again, that’s pretty tourism oriented. And it still seems like a ways off. I mean, the downtown doesn’t even have a single restaurant. And yeah there was that bar thing, but who knows how long La Policía will look the other way about that.

For real though, don’t get me wrong. I really do think it’s all cool, and applaud you for having a vision with the place. And I really do hope it’s even kore successful than you’d ever hoped! But in many ways it also strikes me as a fun retirement pet project more so than a good opportunity for a younger guy otherwise wanting out of the tourism gig.

And I hope you don’t close the door on me for bigger opportunities yet. Maybe the light will come on for me after all.

And I thank you for the invite as far as returning as a tourist myself. I do hope to take you up on that. Maybe even sooner than later! And maybe in the long run too - I really do hope some day I can short term rent the coolest homes in the Empire, and request…nah, DEMAND an early checkin to boot.

Just do me one more favor - don’t blame me if and when the Empire faces a staffing shortage cuz all the locals got priced out and no one wants to commute from Alamosa to work at the dollar store.

and for real did DC get his socks yet?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:58 amClapping emoji
May I ask why?

Are you actually applauding the trend toward some neofeudalism?

Or are you clapping just cuz you really are petty enough to enjoy Japhy being condenscending?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:31 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:58 amClapping emoji
May I ask why?

Are you actually applauding the trend toward some neofeudalism?

Or are you clapping just cuz you really are petty enough to enjoy Japhy being condenscending?
Clapping because japhy had reasonable advice for you and I figured you MIGHT be willing to take advice from your solstice buddy moreso than the rest of us who have tried to no avail.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You certainly take offense to anyone calling out the fallacies of your thoughts and demanding or requesting action on your part. Insecure much? Of course you want to sit around talk about overthrowing the system. Thats all it is....talk. complaining to complain. Get up and do something if you dont like where you're at....change your circumstances. Buy raw land somewhere, not the empire if thats not your jam....but somewhere more affordable than fucking winter park and frasier. Buy raw land and build something. Build a house and then a community if you wish. Do something. Anything. Whining does nothing and it certainly doesnt progress anything.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose if I do have some end game here - I’m curious about community organizing, and coming up with ways to advocate for and implement public policies to address.

A think tank to create those policies? Then some kinda campaign to get them on ballets and approved by voters?

And any chance of making a career of this kinda shit? Or do I still have to go sell my soul to some job that’s more “economically viable?”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Do something. Step out if your comfort zone. Take a chance. Do something, even if its wrong, do something.

Dont ask, just start doing it
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

a wise man once said, you only truly grow when step out of your comfort zone