Deleted User 89

Re: Therapy

Post by Deleted User 89 »

we could all use some of it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:00 pm how do you know if you need it?
Not trying to be clever, but I'd guess it's a question that answers itself.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not your fault.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Asking the question is a good start. I think the mistake is believing therapy is only for those that are really troubled. It's not.

Your problem may be small or it may be big. You find that out in therapy. It's never a bad decision to seek help.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I paid a dude 150 a session more or less once a week in NYC for almost a year.
He wasn't particularly great at his job - he was fine - but I personally don't like to talk about issues with friends or family.
So it was worth it.

If you're feeling overwhelmed, look into it, fuck the so called stigma.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Online therapy companies regularly advertise on many of the podcasts I listen to. It seems they utilize instant messaging and facetime-type apps. I think that's a pretty great option, especially during stay-at-home orders. Absolutely go for it--I don't know what it would harm.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Have a beer, do some manual labor, listen to music and stare at the stars. Whatever feelings are left swallow them down, figure it out and move on. Time spent wallowing is time wasted.

Or, PM HD.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

Ous, you might start with CnB's suggestion if you need to talk to someone that is a professional and get his/her opinion or thoughts (therapist, psychiatrist, etc.). It can help to talk to someone that is not going to judge you. I have seen a psychiatrist for 20+ years, primarily because I have anxiety and struggled with some depression. It helps to talk, medication can also help, at least for me it does help.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Talk to someone if you need to Ousie. I've lost too many friends to depression. Some of them tried tdub's method and it did not end well.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well my suggestion was a little tongue in cheek. Im not suggesting thats the appropriate mehtod. But it is my method, or has been.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mostly my method as well TDub.
Or posting on Satellite bored.
I'd also say gutter owes us each some back pay.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

As Astronut used to say; If you are in the grocery and can't remember if you need toilet paper, grab some toilet paper.

Also; don't grow up to be Astro.

He avoided getting the help he needed and it cost him.

Most everyone heads down the wrong road in life at some point. The important thing is to turn around before you don't have enough gas left in the tank to get back where you started.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also make sure you exercise and eat right.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Am I the only one who looks at the word "therapist" and reads it as two words, a person you should definitely stay away from.....I apologize if you cannot unsee it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 pm Am I the only one who looks at the word "therapist" and reads it as two words, a person you should definitely stay away from.....I apologize if you cannot unsee it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:32 pm Well my suggestion was a little tongue in cheek. Im not suggesting thats the appropriate mehtod. But it is my method, or has been.
I know, I just find it hard to joke about. You never know where some people are. It's actually my method too. So far it's worked for me, it hasn't for too many friends.
Broham
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

zsn wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:04 pm Am I the only one who looks at the word "therapist" and reads it as two words, a person you should definitely stay away from.....I apologize if you cannot unsee it.
How do you feel about physical therapists versus mental therapists?
I had a very attractive female physical therapist who tied me down and did her thing.

Ousy - My 2 cents....
A person should go if they feel there is even a slight possibility someone can help them think about something/s more clearly that they are feeling confused/troubled about - and if they are seeking advice/guidance/support from someone other than a TRUSTED friend, family member, "clergy" person.
If you "connect" with a therapist and you are 100% open and honest, it's a great thing.
You don't connect and you're not open and honest, it's pretty much worthless.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's been 15+ years, but Mrs 99 and I at one point saw a marriage councilor. I don't think he was very good, he ran his practice out of his house, was too cheap to pay for a receptionist and answered his cell phone constantly while in a session with us. We ended up both hating him and he became somewhat of a common enemy, although I don't think that was his plan.
Broham