Texas Hold 'Em Tips

Coffee talk.
chiknbut

Texas Hold 'Em Tips

Post by chiknbut »

Joining a Dad's group on line tonight to play. To say the least, I'm not a poker player.

I've been playing on line for 2-3 days now. Still got a feeling I'm gonna get cleaned out early.

Looking for tips.

Be kind.
PhDhawk

Re: Texas Hold 'Em Tips

Post by PhDhawk »

Know when to hold 'em.

Know when to fold 'em

Know when to walk away.

Know when to run.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

is the online group like a facetime or similar? Like can you see the other dads to "read" them?

I don't play poker much, and that's my shtick. You'd be surprised how many seasoned players will get rattled by someone being all ditzy and chirping, "it's my first time, I don't know what I'm doing, I wonder if these cards are any good, heck why not just go all in, imma get you guys with beginner's luck!"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

slow play, slow play, slow play

and don’t ever feel like you’re too invested in a pot to fold

oh, and watch Molly’s Game...not only because Jessica Chastain is hot, but because it’s based on a true story
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

You're gonna want to eat and play with a bunch of oreo cookies.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Read Doyle Brunsons Poker Super Bible. Its actually a great book
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've never played poker, don't know the rules, but wish I did because some of my neighbors get together and play (not now due to COVID-19).
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 pm is the online group like a facetime or similar? Like can you see the other dads to "read" them?

I don't play poker much, and that's my shtick. You'd be surprised how many seasoned players will get rattled by someone being all ditzy and chirping, "it's my first time, I don't know what I'm doing, I wonder if these cards are any good, heck why not just go all in, imma get you guys with beginner's luck!"
It's an on-line game where you join a "friends game." Makes it easy, but unfortunately cuts out the face time aspect. Was looking forward to seeing some old friends during the game. But it's going to be all virtual.

I've already started the sandbagging - hey, hope you guys don't mind if I stop and ask about the rules...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Play tight act loose. Dump money in early in small pots that youre gonna lose. If the game is tight play loose, if the game is loose play tight.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

get yourself an orange.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Since it costs a lot to win, and even more to lose,
You and me bound to spend some time wondrin what to choose.
Goes to show, you dont ever know,
Watch each card you play and play it slow,
Wait until that deal come round,
Dont you let that deal go down, no, no.
I been gamblin hereabouts for ten good solid years,
If i told you all that went down it would burn off both of your ears.
Goes to show you dont ever know
Wait until that deal come round,
Dont you let that deal go down, no, no.
Since you poured the wine for me and tightened up my shoes,
I hate to leave you sittin there, composin lonesome blues.
Goes to show you dont ever know
Wait until that deal come round, dont you let that deal go down.
Wait until that deal come round, dont you let that deal go down,
Wait until that deal come round, dont you let that deal go down,
Dont you let that deal go down, dont you let that deal go down.
Trust me bro
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

What's the rule of thumb when it comes to dealing the hand you're dealt? Jack's or higher? Obviously go with a pair to start.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pm You're gonna want to eat and play with a bunch of oreo cookies.
"Pay heem. Pay that man hees money."
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:42 pm What's the rule of thumb when it comes to dealing the hand you're dealt? Jack's or higher? Obviously go with a pair to start.
Depends on the game. In a no limit game the starting hand guidelines are looser but you have to stick to being able to bail out of a hand and not get caught chasing.

General rule of thumb is to play Q 10 as your low hand in a tight game, some say K J or higher only. There are exceptions. Suited runners for instance are always a play to the flop. Meaning 67 or 45 or 89 or whatever of the same suit.

Play pairs but play them hard early. Same is true of good hands. Make them work for it, dont slow play too easy. Cant tell you how many times ive been busted by slow playing rockets (AA) and letting people stick around to catch their flush or straight or whatever.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Gotta remember that people want to play, they want to be involved in the hand. So make them work for it.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Johnny "Fucking" Chan

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 pm
chiknbut wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:42 pm What's the rule of thumb when it comes to dealing the hand you're dealt? Jack's or higher? Obviously go with a pair to start.
Depends on the game. In a no limit game the starting hand guidelines are looser but you have to stick to being able to bail out of a hand and not get caught chasing.

General rule of thumb is to play Q 10 as your low hand in a tight game, some say K J or higher only. There are exceptions. Suited runners for instance are always a play to the flop. Meaning 67 or 45 or 89 or whatever of the same suit.

Play pairs but play them hard early. Same is true of good hands. Make them work for it, dont slow play too easy. Cant tell you how many times ive been busted by slow playing rockets (AA) and letting people stick around to catch their flush or straight or whatever.
Good stuff, thanks.

The rest of you suck.

I kid, I kid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's a lot of characters in movies that I get frustrated with ( who are there to be obviously frustrating ) but man, Worm in that movie makes my blood boil.

Like Tdub said, you likely need to play hard early on hands like JKs, QK or AK.
If you get someone betting heavy ( matching you ) into the pot, even if they have pairs like 9's, you still have a decent shot at taking them out and winning early money that'll give you better control of the game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And picking the right moment to bluff is an art - you can scare someone on the turn with an all of a sudden high bet if there's flush possibilities even if you don't have the cards.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:24 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 pm is the online group like a facetime or similar? Like can you see the other dads to "read" them?

It's an on-line game where you join a "friends game." Makes it easy, but unfortunately cuts out the face time aspect. Was looking forward to seeing some old friends during the game. But it's going to be all virtual.

I've already started the sandbagging - hey, hope you guys don't mind if I stop and ask about the rules...
You can do both - my friends and I have been doing it weekly since lockdown. We use Facebook messenger to talk and see each other while using PokerStars to play at the same time.

Definitely be conservative if you're not experienced - don't see too many flops and don't be a calling station. It takes a while to get used to what a good hand is. Though it also depends on how many people are playing - the fewer there are, the more aggressive you can be.