National Fry/Fries Day

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

National Fry/Fries Day

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Bunch of places trying to get me to eat some free fries today.

Who do YOU feel has the best fries?
zsn
Contributor

Re: National Fry/Fries Day

Post by zsn »

In n Out. My wife likes Five Guys. These are in the US.

The best fries we’ve had was in Brussels. Belgians make chocolate, beer and fries better than just about everyone else.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Hilltop drive in did. But they closed.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Any place that serves something other than shoestring or waffle fries is the best.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Popeyes fries are pretty good if fresh.

Five guys are good as well. Similar to Penn Station Subs. Both better if eaten quickly before they get soft. Plenty of random bar & grills have good fries but no names stick out.

Wendys are decent....mcdonalds shouldnt be as high up on my list as they are, but there is something about them i like....iirc Zaxbys has good fries as well.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Five Guys Fries = GOOD
Five Guys Burgers = BAD

So far I have received communications from McDonalds, Buona Beef, and Chik fil-Atio telling me to get/eat some free fries today. Checkers told me I have to pay a buck. What the fuck?
Actually, Buona Beef has made the entire week fry week if you buy an Italian Beef sandwich.

Give me A LOT of Little Louie's fries and I'm a very happy man!
REGULAR fries!
Fuck Cheese(dick) fries or any of the other bullshit gimmicks such as chili fries.
Deleted User 310

forgot about chik-fil-a they are decent too.

My problem is i like all fries. Even the bad ones are still pretty good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In 'n Out fries are garbage. A waste of precious stomach space that is better dedicated to another double double, or a shake.

Chik-Fil-A waffle fries are just devoid of flavor/seasoning. Five Guys fries are often...too dense?

Do tater tots count as fries? If so, then most tater tots should be on the list. Especially when tossed with ranch seasoning.

Do potato wedges count as fries? KFC's are great.

Checker's/Rally's fries, when hot, are best in class. Jack-in-the-Box curly fries are great.

Freddy's matchstick fries are terrific.
Deleted User 310

Ohhhh arbys curly fries are my pick! How could i forget about those.

And ditto on tater tots. Bomb.com
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I like my homemade fries from the air fryer. They about the only ones I can eat more than once in a blue moon.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My faves have already been mentioned: Five Guys, Chick Fil A.

Wendy's ceiling is very high, their floor pretty low, it's a 50/50 chance you'll get good fries there.

McDonald's actually also has a very high ceiling, but things have to be just so on point ( hot and salted ) and they just rarely are, so their floor is so so low b/c even medium warm McDonald's fries are trash.

When Burger King changed their fry recipe a long while ago, they were good the first few times I went, but never since.

I've had In N Out twice and it was fine - their fries were not memorable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 am I like my homemade fries from the air fryer. They about the only ones I can eat more than once in a blue moon.
I've had better luck with very small wedges (like quarters of a golf-ball-sized potato) than fries.

Quarter the small potatoes - lots of them. This recipe is for four people.

Pressure cook for 4 minutes on high (seasoning the water at the bottom with seasoned salt or garlic salt).

Toss in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or the oil of your choosing), (garlic) salt and pepper.

Air fry at 375 for 20 minutes. While air frying, mix another tablespoon of olive oil with (garlic) salt, pepper, parsley and parmesan cheese to taste.

Toss fries after 12 minutes. After 16, toss again with the mixture.

After 20, add time to desired crispiness.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I liked Local Burger in Lawrence when they around. RIP. In n' Out are "okay", but not great.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 am My faves have already been mentioned: Five Guys, Chick Fil A.

Wendy's ceiling is very high, their floor pretty low, it's a 50/50 chance you'll get good fries there.

McDonald's actually also has a very high ceiling, but things have to be just so on point ( hot and salted ) and they just rarely are, so their floor is so so low b/c even medium warm McDonald's fries are trash.

When Burger King changed their fry recipe a long while ago, they were good the first few times I went, but never since.

I've had In N Out twice and it was fine - their fries were not memorable.
I remember those Burger King fries, and they were amazing for a short time. Very unique potato flavor.
Deleted User 141

Fish: I ‘Julienne’ russets. Soak em in ice water for a couple hours. Dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Throw in gallon sized bag and spray with avocado Pam. Add a little salt, pepper, or whatever I want to season with (still use old Molly’s standby: cavenders Greek seasoning, although not much as sodium is bad).

10 min-flip and rotate, 10 min.

Off topic, but it can not be stated enough. I believe air dryers were invented by someone who wanted an easy efficient way to cook pizza rolls as god intended.
Deleted User 141

A place here, good times, has great ‘wild fries’, made much much better by their fry sauce.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The biggest joke has to be fries at Long John Silver's. How do those even get out of testing?

Pretty much all fries are good, but cold LJS fries are inedible.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

My friend worked there (LJS) for years in high school and would mention that the fries had dark pieces of old, burnt fries in them that was commonly mistaken for a seasoning. I almost never ate there, as it doesn't taste good to me.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:52 am The biggest joke has to be fries at Long John Silver's. How do those even get out of testing?

Pretty much all fries are good, but cold LJS fries are inedible.
I just can't fathom what would make one even have the opportunity to sample Long John Silver's fries.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The very worst fries are poorly salted, greasy and cold McDonald's fries.
That doesn't always happen - but that floor is possible.
If we can count Steak n Shake here, I place them as the spot ( been there 2-3 times in Lawrence ) as a consistent awful fry.