Veggie/Vegan dishes

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Veggie/Vegan dishes

Post by ousdahl »

Whatcha got?

I’ll do peanut butter for like 6 meals a day.

Hobo red beans and rice: red beans, rice, and a shitload of Tony Chacere’s seasoning

Various stir fries with tofu, veggies, etc

Quesadillas/grilled cheese, thought still heavy on the dairy
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Veggie/Vegan dishes

Post by jhawks99 »

My veggie kid loves black bean tacos.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The blowup doll is a pescatarian which often means we'll just do a veggie dish.
I did a shephard's pie ( i know, no meat, obviously not as good ) the other day in the crockpot - heavy on the mushrooms.
Thai peanut noodle salad.
Veggie lasagna.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Despite my fondness of fishing for sport, I don’t have much of a taste.

Every now and then, I’ll fry up some rainbows or lakers, usually caught through ice. I also might grill a couple Brook trout over a fire when hiking up a creek in the summer.

But as a whole I prefer to eat warm water species - walleye, perch, crappies. Walleye and laker filets look almost identical though, I guess. I prefer lakers to other trout.

My crappie po’boys are the stuff of legend. You listening, Guy? We’re talking flavortown.

Either way, particularly with fish, it’s gotta he fresh. If it wasn’t still swimming earlier that day, don’t bother.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Taste wise, I could eat raw fish every day. I order cooked fish maybe 2-3x a year. I think it's kind of the same with your "fresh" thing.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:00 pm Taste wise, I could eat raw fish every day. I order cooked fish maybe 2-3x a year. I think it's kind of the same with your "fresh" thing.
Same
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love me some seafood - cooked or raw.
A good tuna or salmon steak. Or some raw bluefin. Steamed mussels. Lobster rolls. Fried shrimp baskets.

Oysters i'll eat but they aren't high on my list.
Crab is fine too but again, not my fave.
Also clams.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Crab is too much fucking work.

Also not a oyster guy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Love crab, oysters, squid, octopus, and just about anything else that lives in the sea.
Except shark, bleh.
Broham
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

As a lifelong vegetarian I find it’s quite stark as to how lazy and uncreative people are when it comes to vegetarian food. Most of the world’s people are vegetarian on a given day primarily driven by economics. It’s only people with Northern European sensibilities who find the need to add carcass-derived products to each meal.

For the most part, Mediterranean , Southern European, Middle Eastern and Indian food is very amenable for vegetarians and vegans. I’m having a nice khoresh bademjan as we speak. The closest description would be that it’s a ratatouille which decided that it wants to be flavorful and less boring.

Check out books by Mollie Katzen, Alice Waters and Madhur Jaffrey. Some of the best meals I’ve had were when some chef took it as a challenge to prepare off-menu items for us vegetarians. Not surprisingly France is among the best and worst places to be a vegetarian. Of all places I survived for five years in Lawrence f-ing Kansas in the mid 80s as a vegetarian.

Now get off my lawn.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“It’s only people with Northern European sensibilities who find the need to add carcass-derived products to each meal.”

Agree with everything about your post but this is certainly not true.

A. That people with Northern European sensibilities need to have meat with every meal.
B. That people in other cultures do not want to eat meat in a similar capacity to Northern Europeans.

Economics of course is a play and what foods are available.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

zsn wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:38 pm As a lifelong vegetarian I find it’s quite stark as to how lazy and uncreative people are when it comes to vegetarian food. Most of the world’s people are vegetarian on a given day primarily driven by economics. It’s only people with Northern European sensibilities who find the need to add carcass-derived products to each meal.

For the most part, Mediterranean , Southern European, Middle Eastern and Indian food is very amenable for vegetarians and vegans. I’m having a nice khoresh bademjan as we speak. The closest description would be that it’s a ratatouille which decided that it wants to be flavorful and less boring.

Check out books by Mollie Katzen, Alice Waters and Madhur Jaffrey. Some of the best meals I’ve had were when some chef took it as a challenge to prepare off-menu items for us vegetarians. Not surprisingly France is among the best and worst places to be a vegetarian. Of all places I survived for five years in Lawrence f-ing Kansas in the mid 80s as a vegetarian.

Now get off my lawn.
I cooked at the Cornucopia in the mid-80's. There was also Tin Pan Ally, and Paradise that were very veggie-friendly. All were ahead of their time.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Oh man, I forgot about The Cornucopia.

Didn’t they have two locations?
I don’t remember ever eating there but remember the name.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This might need its own thread but has anyone ever grown an indoor garden?

I try to eat a salad or some greens with most meals, but it’s so effing hard to get fresh produce at the store up here. Half the time it’s already rotten.

I’d just like a little window planter’s worth of leafy greens or something.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Blowup doll grows basil, rosemary etc but nothing like you’re talking about.

Fresh greens would be a treat in the winter. You need to have a good window space.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Or a good indoor grow light, I suppose.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:12 am I cooked at the Cornucopia in the mid-80's. There was also Tin Pan Ally, and Paradise that were very veggie-friendly. All were ahead of their time.
Then I’ve definitely had your cooking!! There was also this place next to (above) the Crossing called (if I recall) Glass Onion or something like that, which was also vegetarian friendly. For me these and the Yello Sub were saviors. Indeed Lawrence was ahead of the times. Ithaca NY was another college town which had many veggie friendly restaurants.

As for growing greens indoor: you don’t need to get them to grow nice and huge. You can harvest them when they are small. But this means starting seeds almost continuously. For the first few weeks it’s actually better for greens to be indoors, even in favorable outside weather. The seeds germinate better and get established, away from pests and birds! Rotate about three pots and start seeds every 10 days or so. It’s a lot of work if you don’t have ideal indoor conditions.

Finally, here is a great quote I came across a few years ago: those who believe that vegetarians eat only salads are the same people who also believe that the bed is the only furniture where you can have sex!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that stain on the couch was just vegan salad dressing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pretty sure that’s that South Park called “vaginitis”