Global Outage

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Global Outage

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

No, it's not Global coming out day.
What it is for me is...
1. I am currently fucked in regards to my banking with Chase. A rather large transaction (movement from one account to another - that should have been "instant") not showing as being expedited.
I went to my local bank and they said they are suffering an "outage" and can't assist me with my issue.

2. I am unsure if other people are having issues sending me emails because I sent 4 work related emails yesterday in which people typically respond quickly and I have not received responses. I can/will call 3 of the 4 but I need emails from them because I have to print what they send me and it's "important" and needs to be done asap.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Re: Global Outage

Post by ousdahl »

Is this related to the thousands of flights grounded?

And like some Microsoft software update that had a bug? Supposedly not hacked, just a bug
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crowdsrike. You're not the only one dealing with it.
Trust me bro
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My daughter's flight cancelled. Very late at the gate. Grr
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:42 am Is this related to the thousands of flights grounded?

And like some Microsoft software update that had a bug? Supposedly not hacked, just a bug
First question - supposedly?
Second question - somewhat?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:52 am Crowdsrike. You're not the only one dealing with it.
Correct. I wonder how many people where impacted to a degree that had a major affect on them/their life.
I wouldn't say either of my two things that I posted about yesterday was necessarily "major" but they very easily could have been "major" and were a lot more than "minor". The NOT funny thing is the banking issue has still not been resolved and I will have to wait until Monday to deal with. Could have had the potential to be more than potentially disastrous for me. Thankfully I have found ways to work around it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:17 pm My daughter's flight cancelled. Very late at the gate. Grr
No good. Hopefully she didn't "have to be" where she was going at the time she was scheduled to arrive.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Imagine the chaos if this were to happen on a larger scale - oh, I don’t know, say, the evening of November 5th, 2024.

“Gosh, folks, it looks like all of your votes done up and vanished. Guess you’ll have to trust Congress to pick a POTUS for you.”

Just hypothetically, of course, cuz there’s no one behind the scenes pulling strings or anything like that.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Can we keep the crazy to the poli bored please?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Come on PDub, Psych only has a short amount of time to impress upon us his superior intellect before he gets banned.

Let him roam!
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:00 am Come on PDub, Psych only has a short amount of time to impress upon us his superior intellect before he gets banned.

Let him roam!
^^^

Psych is a stallion, and a stallion must be free!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:03 am
Overlander wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:00 am Come on PDub, Psych only has a short amount of time to impress upon us his superior intellect before he gets banned.

Let him roam!
^^^

Psych is a stallion, and a stallion must be free!
^
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

JKLivin wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:48 am Imagine the chaos if this were to happen on a larger scale - oh, I don’t know, say, the evening of November 5th, 2024.

“Gosh, folks, it looks like all of your votes done up and vanished. Guess you’ll have to trust Congress to pick a POTUS for you.”

Just hypothetically, of course, cuz there’s no one behind the scenes pulling strings or anything like that.
Hey, I admit you had me on your first two sentences.

My bottom line on the "Global Outage"...
I fully expect despite all the bullshit we are told and with all the supposed protections in place, at some point in the next 20 years (5 or 10 years?), there will be a massive "Global Outage" that will be a disastrous cluster fuck and take a much too long time to recover from. Some may say that was Covid but I am referring to a technological "global outage".
As the great Donald J. Trump would say, "It will be the likes of which we've never seen before".

Hows that for some gloom and doom on your Saturday?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So hopefully not too pols boredy but since this thread is still here, I’ve seen a lotta chatter about this as an example of the risks of big tech monopolies.

So much of the economy, from air travel to hospitals, depends on the software from one company. That makes it more likely one single point of failure can disrupt entire global markets.

The other take I’ve seen is, how does Microsoft go down but Outlook still works fine…that’s the adult version of having it snow but not enough to close schools for the day
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Just go ahead and tell us what you think...
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:49 am So hopefully not too pols boredy but since this thread is still here, I’ve seen a lotta chatter about this as an example of the risks of big tech monopolies.

So much of the economy, from air travel to hospitals, depends on the software from one company. That makes it more likely one single point of failure can disrupt entire global markets.

The other take I’ve seen is, how does Microsoft go down but Outlook still works fine…that’s the adult version of having it snow but not enough to close schools for the day
While you’re certainly correct that everything we depend upon has a single-point-of-failure (disaster waiting to happen) I don’t think it’s a result of a “monopoly” necessarily. Even if we have multiple providers, and we do, we’re still extremely vulnerable. Just a few days ago the AT&T network went down and caused chaos. Others were unaffected
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The lesson is how interdependent we are without the addition of mythology.