Favorite Fond Memories.....

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Favorite Fond Memories.....

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

In the early/mid 1970s I attended sleep away camp for 5 consecutive years. I look back at the 8 weeks I spent there each of those years and have many fond memories.
I just read this post from a guy who was a camper and then a counselor when I was at camp. He's a couple years older than me and I still kind of keep in touch with him. He opened a camp of his own and then during and after Covid - closed it and "retired" from camp ownership. SOLID guy.

This was his post.....
I had a magical night at North Star Camp. The sun set. The moon rose. Beauty in the air. Kids were talking about being their best selves, accepting themselves. A friend’s daughter gave a great talk on the theme - her story. She explained how camp gave her that safe space to grow and express herself. I witnessed a power within her I’d never seen.
There was music. Singing. Poetry. Respect. Listening. Inspiration. I recalled my camp days in the 70’s and 80’s. I sat there, mostly in silence, for an hour and a half; I considered my experience at camp. It helped shape me in profound ways. I breathed in to the moment, and experienced the past and present, together, all at once.
I even threw in a key log - a ritualistic ceremony in which one throws a stick into the campfire and expresses some thanks and gratitude. (and yes, my words were emotional and my voice did tremble just a bit.)
I was invited up to help sing the closing song, Forrest Green, and sang with the rest of the honored staff who had also attended camp for at least 10 years. My heart was full.
Before leaving the council ring, I had a private little chat with the lake; the ashes of another friend’s parents are there. I promised I’d say hello.
Thanks North Star. It’s good to know. your spirit is thriving in the hearts of a new generation.

These are my words...The guy on the right in the plaid shirt was my counselor my 3rd year. He went on to buy the camp and be its director. I have to say he was the most influential person in my life other than my family members.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Favorite Fond Memories.....

Post by KUTradition »

posted in the bbq thread…memory jogged by pdub’s apple story
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Somethin' about those summer camps.
Loved em - very fond memories is right.

But the two big ones I went to were both in Missouri ( ugh ).
One you slept in a cabin in bunk beds.
The other you slept on a tented platform on cots.

No A/C.
In Missouri in July.
Don't know how I slept.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Speaking of apples…

My first real memory in life was my grandpa taking me to an orchard. Was prob only 2 or 3 years old. Must’ve been late summer or early fall, cuz there were apples all over the place. I initially took off running between the trees, and promptly stumbled on an apple on the ground. Toddler me thought it was hilarious, and kept running and stumbling for the fun of it. Nowadays I can only manage to giggle that much on shakedown street.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you want to come over and run around in my yard this September/October so you can recreate those memories, we can work something out.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:42 pm

My first real memory in life was my grandpa taking me to an orchard.
At first, this read like an introduction to a support group.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:46 pm If you want to come over and run around in my yard this September/October so you can recreate those memories, we can work something out.
How quaint!