WWJD? Part IV 'Looza edition.

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

WWJD? Part IV 'Looza edition.

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Should have put this on the music thread or 5+1 bonus questions of the day thread but I'm an attention whore looking for some guidance.

I typically go all 4 days. There is a 9.123% chance I go all 4 days this year.
If YOU (not Jesus) had to pick 2 days (forgetting the days of the week on the schedule) to go, which two days would you choose?
P.S. There are obscure bands one day that are making me want to attend that day.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Re: WWJD? Part IV 'Looza edition.

Post by TDub »

damn I must be getting old, I only have ever heard of 3 of of those bands. Kaitlin Butt's, Deftones, Blink 182.
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'm with TDub. Jungle, on Thursday, would be fun. I might want to see Killer Mike. Skrillex is still out there doing his thing?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:49 am damn I must be getting old, I only have ever heard of 3 of of those bands. Kaitlin Butt's, Deftones, Blink 182.
No way you’ve never heard of The Killers.

I scanned and saw 10 or so I knew.
I dislike live music so I’d not go.
But if I had to I guess the last 2 nights as I know more bands.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Speaking of the Killers: Mr Brightside has gotten a major rebirth with GenZ.

It’s catchy as hell - aka it slaps - I get it - but I’d put the under/over on percentage of GenZ who jam to it knowing it’s a song about getting cheated on at 10%.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:49 am damn I must be getting old, I only have ever heard of 3 of of those bands. Kaitlin Butt's, Deftones, Blink 182.
A big part of the attraction of going to Lollapalooza for me is to see/hear bands/musicians I have never heard of.
More often than not, I have a "meh" reaction but there have been a bunch of gems (to/for me) over the years.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:45 am

I have no idea who the killers are
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

defixione wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:39 am I'm with TDub. Jungle, on Thursday, would be fun. I might want to see Killer Mike. Skrillex is still out there doing his thing?
Interesting you mention Jungle. I have seen them perform at Lollapalooza before and enjoyed them.
I have never seen/heard Gioli & Assia and they are performing at the same time. I think they are pretty much "DJs" but a buddy of mine who attends A LOT of festivals told me he saw them at Life is Beautiful and said he really liked them. My guess is he was drugged out of his mind but so be it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

My guess is he has heard their music but didn't realize it was them.
If you dislike live music then 100% you shouldn't go because not only is it live music, it's live music in a shit show (120,000 - I think more) of mostly teenagers and 20 something year olds.
I appreciate your input on the last 2 nights.
My buddy who I always go with wants to go Saturday. I have little interest but will probably just go for the hang out with him purpose.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:53 am

I have no idea who the killers are
That's wild to me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:02 am

If you dislike live music then 100% you shouldn't go because not only is it live music, it's live music in a shit show (120,000 - I think more) of mostly teenagers and 20 something year olds.
My buddy who I always go with wants to go Saturday. I have little interest but will probably just go for the hang out with him purpose.
I can count on one hand the number of outdoor concerts I have been to.
It's just not for me.

When I lived in NYC I had multiple friends that played in multiple bands and while I really liked my friends I did not like having to be there over and over to listen to their music. I don't know what to do - you just stand there and dance or bob your head? Nope. You can't talk to anybody because it's too loud. You just stand. Oof. I'm struggling just thinking about it.

Now I like live music if it's a side deal at an event where it's not the main thing - it's an addition to the main thing. Bands at weddings rule. Rotating live music at a bar where you aren't buying tickets to see said music is usually good as well.

I just personally think the best music should be listened to and not watched.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:07 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:02 am

I can count on one hand the number of outdoor concerts I have been to.
It's just not for me.

When I lived in NYC I had multiple friends that played in multiple bands and while I really liked my friends I did not like having to be there over and over to listen to their music. I don't know what to do - you just stand there and dance or bob your head? Nope.

Now I like live music if it's a side deal at an event where it's not the main thing - it's an addition to the main thing. Bands at weddings rule. Rotating live music at a bar where you aren't buying tickets to see said music is usually good as well.
I understand the "side deal" part. On a semi related note...

If you are a T-Mobile customer you can hang out in their "lounge". It's free but you have to wait in a long line to get in if you show up later in the day/evening being that they have a capacity. I hang out with my buddy in there for a while because he goes General Admission and it is BY FAR the best way for a GA person who doesn't like crowds to take in the music and atmosphere. You can sit on a couch, have a drink, talk to people, whatever. I enjoy the "escape".

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Escape, brought to you by TMobile!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Saturday and Sunday.

But, not much on there that interests me on any day. Teddy Swims can sing though. I like some of his songs.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

For me, Saturday is the only day I see anything of value.
Leisure
Cannons
Skrillex
Deftones

Outside of that, I could think of 1,000 things I would rather go see.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:56 pm For me, Saturday is the only day I see anything of value.
Leisure
Cannons
Skrillex
Deftones

Outside of that, I could think of 1,000 things I would rather go see.
You and me both.
Thus, the reason why I am skipping all 4 days.
Figure I would much rather spend my money on seeing/hearing some music I know I will enjoy.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Lulz. Right on cue.
Just looked and I received an email last night that I have to meet with one of the promoters on Monday to coordinate "tickets" (actually wristbands) for a few people. I do this pretty much every year and it is typically a BIG hassle, but it is a facet of my job responsibilities, and I do it for people I like, so it is what it is and I suck it up.
In the past (I would guess 2008 to 2018) I would be given an all access pass/wristband for my effort/s so I was thrilled to do it.
Now all I get is a simple thank you. Which really is all they "owe" me.
NEGATIVE side note is... I do want to go on Thursday but as of right now there are thunderstorms in the forecast for Thursday. The thought/s of a lot of rain, and even more so - potential/probable/inevitable/ evacuations (because of lightning in the area) SUCKS.
Bottom line, a lot of GUTTERED!