WVA Gameday Thread

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: WVA Gameday Thread

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:22 am I don't know if MJ or Zuby will or would transfer. I do know that Bill's history (and previous transfers' histories) suggests that would be an unwise move on their part. Transferring away from Bill has improved things for...who exactly? Grimes comes to mind, but only in that I'm not sure he really wanted to work or play the way we wanted him to.
Grimes is a weird one.

I don't think he wasn't a hard worker. Just seems highly doubtful if he wasn't a hard worker that he'd have improved so much after leaving KU. He was mediocre here, but he's turned himself into someone starting on an NBA team.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think if he bought in he would have had even better numbers and would have been picked higher after his junior season.

There are some other transfers that 'worked out' but by that I mean, they continued a similar path I think they would have at KU.

Giddens and Bragg come to mind.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:33 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:22 am I don't know if MJ or Zuby will or would transfer. I do know that Bill's history (and previous transfers' histories) suggests that would be an unwise move on their part. Transferring away from Bill has improved things for...who exactly? Grimes comes to mind, but only in that I'm not sure he really wanted to work or play the way we wanted him to.
Grimes is a weird one.

I don't think he wasn't a hard worker. Just seems highly doubtful if he wasn't a hard worker that he'd have improved so much after leaving KU. He was mediocre here, but he's turned himself into someone starting on an NBA team.
I think it's clear he's a hard-enough worker. I'm just not sure he really did that here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:39 am I think if he bought in he would have had even better numbers and would have been picked higher after his junior season.

There are some other transfers that 'worked out' but by that I mean, they continued a similar path I think they would have at KU.

Giddens and Bragg come to mind.
Giddens sort of falls into the same bucket as Grimes for me. More or less, they ended up having the pro careers they should have had.

Bragg is conclusively below that line, though.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:39 am I think if he bought in he would have had even better numbers and would have been picked higher after his junior season.
I don't.

I think Houston was a great fit for him. I don't think he'd have played PG at KU. And it's easier to put up individual numbers at Houston imo, both in terms of talent around him, and talent of the teams you face on a nightly basis.

But we will never know. It seemingly worked out for all parties involved. His is thriving in the NBA and we are still the best program in the country.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I do.
2020-21 was a letdown season with Bryce Thompson disappointing and KU needing a punch offensively.
Grimes would have been the man and would have had just as much opportunity to play on the ball as Marcus Garrett -- and likely more after we saw Marcus's offensive issues when moving to that role.

And even then, Grimes is/was more of a guy who creates space but not a give the ball to me and let me work guy. Even at Houston. We've had some studs come through KU that fit his profile.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am We have three guards coming in but no bigs.
Clemence hypothetically has a skillset that none of our potential contributing bigs have.
So you might see a world where he comes in for Adams and plays with Udeh or comes in for Udeh and KJ switches defensively.
Very hypothetically. He's made 9 of 36 threes (a couple of them banked in IIRC). Also just 16 of 35 from the line. For someone whose skill is supposed to be shooting, that's awful.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yep -- he may not actually be good at what we think he is.
If he is though, you can see a path to minutes.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pekka Markkanen always disappointed me.
Deleted User 863

I don't see any path to minutes at the 4 due to his defensive limitations. He is so slow.

He could be a back up 5. But that means he somehow has to get ahead of Zuby in the rotation. Which seems so unlikely after seeing Zuby this year.

Clemence looks like he'd be better at a place like Creighton.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I almost forgot Clemence was on the team.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How much have we really used Zach according to his skill set?

That’s to say, how often have we tried to get him open jumpers in rhythm.

More so, we check him in expecting him to play as a an old school post. If he does get a touch, it’s more likely to be a back to the basket kinda look.

Maybe some quick pick-and-pops could help the mid-1st half offensive slumps that often happen with the bench in.

And maybe it could at least make opposing defenses adjust.

Meh, whatever.

But - how likely is it that we have both Zach AND Cam on the roster next year? Since they’re both similar doods, and neither necessarily showing hope they’re likely to be a major rotation guy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Bill really seemingly struggles with stretch 5 type of players.

Zach could absolutely tear it up as a stretch 5 with a coach who knows how to coach it, like McDermott, even Porter Moser or someone else along those lines.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:00 pm How much have we really used Zach according to his skill set?

That’s to say, how often have we tried to get him open jumpers in rhythm.

More so, we check him in expecting him to play as a an old school post. If he does get a touch, it’s more likely to be a back to the basket kinda look.

Maybe some quick pick-and-pops could help the mid-1st half offensive slumps that often happen with the bench in.

And maybe it could at least make opposing defenses adjust.

Meh, whatever.

But - how likely is it that we have both Zach AND Cam on the roster next year? Since they’re both similar doods, and neither necessarily showing hope they’re likely to be a major rotation guy.
You don't run plays designed for your 9th or 10th best player.

Zach has had plenty of opportunities to show his skillset or lack thereof.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Has he though if he doesn't have any plays run specifically for him since he is the "9th or 10th best player"..?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:12 pm Zach could absolutely tear it up as a stretch 5 with a coach who knows how to coach it, like McDermott, even Porter Moser or someone else along those lines.
Yes. Zach would be much better off at a lesser program against lesser competition.

It's not coaching competency holding him back.
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:18 pm Has he though if he doesn't have any plays run specifically for him since he is the "9th or 10th best player"..?
Yes. I think he has.

If he can't do the other basic things, like defend the post and/or rebound, then it's hard to justify finding him 10 shots a game so he can score 8 pts.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

maybe next year. we are at that point in this season where, barring injuries, we ain't drawing up plays to get ZC touches on the ball.

it's winning time. we have our rotation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Do we?

With the front court and Big Ern, yea.

But Self still can’t seem to decide whether our perimeter rotation should be Bobby and/or Yes, with the occasional peppering of Rice too
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:29 pm Do we?

With the front court and Big Ern, yea.

But Self still can’t seem to decide whether our perimeter rotation should be Bobby and/or Yes, with the occasional peppering of Rice too
Huh?

Our rotation is pretty defined.

Yes AND Bobby are part of the main rotation. Do you expect us to only play 6 guys?