Gutter's 1 Question for a Tuesday Evening 9/17/24

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gutter's 1 Question for a Tuesday Evening 9/17/24

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I swear I am not on drugs or drunk right now.
FORGETTING RELIGION.....
Here is a mind fuck for me. I can't figure out how "this" began. "This" being the the universe as I/we know it. I know the Big Bang theory but then what created the Big Bang and where did it come from?
If I was your 6 year old child, without brining God or religion in to it, how would you explain how the universe came to be?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Gutter's 1 Question for a Tuesday Evening 9/17/24

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It’s just a simulation. It started at the equivalent of 7 pm, on game night.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:29 pm I swear I am not on drugs or drunk right now.
FORGETTING RELIGION.....
Here is a mind fuck for me. I can't figure out how "this" began. "This" being the the universe as I/we know it. I know the Big Bang theory but then what created the Big Bang and where did it come from?
If I was your 6 year old child, without brining God or religion in to it, how would you explain how the universe came to be?
https://futurism.com/scientist-disputes ... ired-light
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We don't know how the universe came to be because it's much bigger than our human minds can comprehend and it's OK not knowing everything - in fact, it's very important that you understand that you cannot know everything and be humble in the right moments.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:43 am We don't know how the universe came to be because it's much bigger than our human minds can comprehend and it's OK not knowing everything - in fact, it's very important that you understand that you cannot know everything and be humble in the right moments.
Good answer! To me, it shows the limitations of the mind - or maybe that the mind is limitless?
My biggest problem is that I am an inquisitive guy. I like things to be black and white and I like definitive answers.
One of my many psychological issues is that I overthink and weigh many angles to a situation/thought and I can't come up with definitive decisions/answers.
Heck, I tested positive for Covid this morning and am struggling big time if I should plan to return to work tomorrow - or not - and what are the pros and cons of my doing and such - and which outweighs the other.
It is important for me to realize and accept - not everything is definitive/black and white - and that's ok.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

There is absolutely and exactly 0 way to explain that because we'd have to have the answers in order to explain it.

We don't know. The big bang theory, despite being the prominent and leading theory, relies heavily on "im.not surr what happened here so....lets pretend this happened so that my theory works". It's like religion but different.

In our pea brains....Its impossible that it all came from nothing, just like it's impossible that the universe is infinite....and also ever expanding (expanding? into what? what's on the other side?)...

yet here we are.

Pour one and enjoy our short trips around our single star in our tiny little section of stars.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

many, if not most, have difficulty understanding the evolution of life on Earth

galactic evolution? i doubt we make it long enough to answer such questions with any sort of certainty
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:55 am many, if not most, have difficulty understanding the evolution of life on Earth

galactic evolution? i doubt we make it long enough to answer such questions with any sort of certainty
fair point

I understand the concept and the idea snd likelihood of how that works. But even the history of our little planet is vast to me and there is much I can't comprehend or claim to understand completely.

Also...someone explain Octopi and cephalopods. They have no evolutionary chain. They're different in everyday from everything. Aliens.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you want your mind blown?

binary fission

(at least, it blew my mind when i first learned about it)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:08 am you want your mind blown?

binary fission

(at least, it blew my mind when i first learned about it)
my small mind is easily blown but I'll look that up later when I get a moment.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why would i even bother attempting to explain that to a 6 y/o.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:48 am why would i even bother attempting to explain that to a 6 y/o.
If you can add some pictures, Randy will eventually get it
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:48 am why would i even bother attempting to explain that to a 6 y/o.
Why wouldn't you bother attempting to explain that to a 6 year old - if they asked you?
If I 6 year old asks me a question I attempt to answer it. Should I not?