2024/2025 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by pdub »

Yes.
This is one reason why, in the past, I enjoyed college ball over the NBA, seeing the work put in over 4 years and watching the player grow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:38 pm Yes.
This is one reason why, in the past, I enjoyed college ball over the NBA, seeing the work put in over 4 years and watching the player grow.
We agree.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

another off-season hoops board hypo, for the sake of hoops boarding:

would you be more excited for this upcoming season rolling with the group of guys we got?

or, like, rolling with Bobby Pettiford and Yesufu and Rice and Bryce and Zuby and Udeh?
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:18 pm

Overwhelming physical ability - athleticism and physical traits - tends to mean that you get plucked by the NBA before you’ve got more than a couple years of experience.
I kinda wonder if, in another era, Flory would be getting hyped as a sure thing OAD.

"Who cares if he don't have no jumper yet, let's roll the dice that maybe he can develop that, cuz have you seen the way the kid moves?"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:08 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 2:18 pm

Overwhelming physical ability - athleticism and physical traits - tends to mean that you get plucked by the NBA before you’ve got more than a couple years of experience.
I kinda wonder if, in another era, Flory would be getting hyped as a sure thing OAD.

"Who cares if he don't have no jumper yet, let's roll the dice that maybe he can develop that, cuz have you seen the way the kid moves?"
I think you’re hitting on the issue - this may well happen, just like it did with Diallo.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

yea.

Diallo was even post-Splash Bros, which my mind went to when I thought "another era."

Even TRob may have had a much different career trajectory a decade prior, back before the NBA gameplans were so explicitly "space the floor and everybody shoot"

Diallo was far from ready, either way tho, and ended up slipping to second round. Another year or two and Self very likely woulda made him a lotto pick.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am hopeful that we’re now in a different era, as far as the stay-or-go calculus.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

and actually, I was gonna ask the other day, and will now:

is there any change in trends of who is getting drafted? Is there a move away from raw potential and toward more specific skillsets? Is average draft age getting older?
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

re: average age, a cursory search suggests it's getting younger and younger.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:06 pm another off-season hoops board hypo, for the sake of hoops boarding:

would you be more excited for this upcoming season rolling with the group of guys we got?

or, like, rolling with Bobby Pettiford and Yesufu and Rice and Bryce and Zuby and Udeh?
LOL

Dumb.

1 is a legit contender and 1 is a borderline top 25 team at best (and only due to Self).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:18 pm re: average age, a cursory search suggests it's getting younger and younger.

But...look at the end point of that data.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:54 pm
BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:06 pm another off-season hoops board hypo, for the sake of hoops boarding:

LOL

Dumb.

1 is a legit contender and 1 is a borderline top 25 team at best (and only due to Self).
My only hesitation is ... well, why exactly couldn't Bryce have become something along the lines of Mason and Graham?

Not here to stan for Bryce specifically. I've just seen, over and over, what Bill can do with guys like that who buy in and stay.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:59 pm

LOL

Dumb.

My only hesitation is ... well, why exactly couldn't Bryce have become something along the lines of Mason and Graham?

Not here to stan for Bryce specifically. I've just seen, over and over, what Bill can do with guys like that who buy in and stay.
Because he isn't as good as them?

I don't know the answer. But I do know that not every single player coached by Self turns into a first team AA.

And most of those guys listed don't even start on p5 teams. Only Udeh I think. Pretty easy choice which group I'd rather have.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

the crux of it is, whether the putting in the work over 4 years would have been more enjoyable than the plug and play turnover of the portal.

and, yea, with that work over 4 years, whether any of those doods might have developed, or developed more significantly, under Self than otherwise.

but DeletedUser, at least, thinks one of those groups of guys, or even entertaining the hypo, is laugh-out-loud dumb, apparently.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:59 pm

LOL

Dumb.

I tend to think there's some chicken-and-egg of, Self and co both realizing a dood just might not have as much potential as anticipated, and/or a dood just not being willing or able to buy into Self and co.

If the Bryces or Bobbies or Rices were the type to buckle down and stick to it, they woulda buckled and stuck.

The only exception may be Grimes, who has been prob our most (only?) subsequently successful outbound transfer, and left in what felt like more of an 11th hour ego-fueled knee jerk than the average departure.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:21 pm the crux of it is, whether the putting in the work over 4 years would have been more enjoyable than the plug and play turnover of the portal.

and, yea, with that work over 4 years, whether any of those doods might have developed, or developed more significantly, under Self than otherwise.

but DeletedUser, at least, thinks one of those groups of guys, or even entertaining the hypo, is laugh-out-loud dumb, apparently.
DH is a 6 year KU player. Kj is a 4 year KU player. Clemence is a 4* year KU player.

Yes those 2 groups of guys are LOL comparable. We are preseason #1. You listed 2 limited centers. 2 non shooting pgs. And 1 headcase wing who wasn't even on an NCAA team at the end of last year. I know which group I'd be more excited about.

Bobby Pettiford plays at High Point. You think DH is offensively limited, well wait until you see Pettiford shoot (or not).

Curious to see how Yesufu does at WVU this year and I'm sure he'll be looking for revenge when they play KU (if he is a rotation player). Will Zuby even start at St Johns this year? Will Udeh start at TCU again? Does Rice even play college ball this season?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:27 pm

The only exception may be Grimes, who has been prob our most (only?) subsequently successful outbound transfer, and left in what felt like more of an 11th hour ego-fueled knee jerk than the average departure.
I think maybe some KU fans took the Grimes thing too personally. He was a bad fit (he felt) and had Dotson in front of him for the position he wanted to play. Grimes does not seem like that type of dude. His success in the NBA seems to reflect that. If we are being honest, I think he was a better fit at Houston and was obviously also comfortable with Sampson, who while inferior to Self is still a great coach.

It was a win win for everyone in my opinion. We did just fine without him and he's had a wonderful career. I hold no ill feelings towards Grimes. If he ever made disparaging remarks about KU I certainly don't remember it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

LOL

Dumb.

Not dumb for me but this is largely dependent on the circumstances of why I would be OK with it in the past.

Today? I don't really care. At our level of ball it's now just a bunch of mercenaries leading the charge.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:42 pm

LOL

Dumb.

Not dumb for me but this is largely dependent on the circumstances of why I would be OK with it in the past.

Today? I don't really care. At our level of ball it's now just a bunch of mercenaries leading the charge.
He listed 5 guys. 1 who was a transfer to KU.

I can list 5 guys on this team (DH KJ Clemence Elmarko and McDowell) who are not transfer mercenaries. And Mayo, who while being a transfer mercenary, is a more traditional style transfer coming from a smaller school after developing, and transferring to his hometown school where he has childhood ties.

Because, in general, I'm with you about preferring multi-year guys who develop as opposed to plug and play 1 year purchases. I just think this team has that as much as his hypothetical team of 5 players he named. If that makes sense.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

ok new hypo!

Which lineup you wanna see more/would bet on winning:

DH
Elmarko (otherwise healthy for the sake of this hypo)
McDowell
KJ
Zach

vs.

Shak/Dig pickem
Zeke
Griffen
AJ
Hunter