Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 89

Re: Perspective

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Self has more championships...just not more national ones
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Which gets back to the age old argument of which is viewed more highly. Regular season or post season success.

I certainly believe that Self has had his fair share of tournament blunders and believe him only having one Natty out of the consecutive years of dominance is under whelming but understand that very few years the best team wins in a single elimination tournament.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 pm Which gets back to the age old argument of which is viewed more highly. Regular season or post season success.

I certainly believe that Self has had his fair share of tournament blunders and believe him only having one Natty out of the consecutive years of dominance is under whelming but understand that very few years the best team wins in a single elimination tournament.
and similarly, sustained success where the highs may not be as high but where the lows definitely aren’t nearly as low

i liked the streak of weeks in the top 25, the streak of tourney appearances, and the record for regular season titles

those will likely stick for a long, long time

people often forget who won a given natty
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

in real time, regular season is way more fun. gimme lots of fun games over the course of November-March

in hindsight, although 2010 and 2020 were great for lots of wins throughout a season, 2012 and 2018 were way more fun.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

2* national titles. Self got robbed of 2020
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Trad hit the nail on the head. The streak of weeks in the top 25, the streak of tourney appearances, and the record for regular season titles, are things that Self deserves a TON of praise for.
No doubt what Self and his teams have accomplished is/are extraordinary.
Problem is many if not most people (other than KU fans) don't care about any of those things compared to winning a championship. They are all secondary.
"Perspective" is that winning a National Championship is Self's goal every year and he has fallen short of that goal all but once.
Of course winning a championship in a single elimination tournament is a tough task but for what it's worth, there are 5 guys who have won more National Championships than Self has seen he's been at KU.
To soften that blow - Calipari is NOT one of them.
Meanwhile, once again, I am 100% in support of saying how much credit Self deserves for everything he and his teams have accomplished.
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 pm in real time, regular season is way more fun. gimme lots of fun games over the course of November-March

in hindsight, although 2010 and 2020 were great for lots of wins throughout a season, 2012 and 2018 were way more fun.
Regular season is more fun than these moments? I respectfully disagree.

OOOOOOOOPPPPSSSSS! The first one wasn't too fun. :roll:

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I had a helluva time when Frank Mason sunk that game winning jumper vs your favorite team Gutter.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bill has had too many tourney blunders, but I don't know if there is a coach out there that is more fun to be a fan of. Final Four aspirations basically every season.
Deleted User 289

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:22 pm I had a helluva time when Frank Mason sunk that game winning jumper vs your favorite team Gutter.
I assume you're referring to the game winner against Dook. Yes?
The "meaningless" game back in November of 2016?
You know, the games in November that are always "meaningless" if/when we lose but aren't "meaningless" if/when we win.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm Bill has had too many tourney blunders, but I don't know if there is a coach out there that is more fun to be a fan of. Final Four aspirations basically every season.
and this is what gets lost in the discussion

no other program can say that with a straight face over the past 20 years
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:41 pm Bill has had too many tourney blunders, but I don't know if there is a coach out there that is more fun to be a fan of. Final Four aspirations basically every season.
Speaking of coaches and fun to be a fan of.....
2:40 mark is my favorite college FOOTBALL coach.

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Grandma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Which of the ~25 of them that Roi is > Bill do these fall under?
Not a person on here who wouldn't have been happy if Roi stayed and won 3 'ships and we never had Self at KU. Amiright?

No guarantee that Roy would have won any championships at KU. Bringing it into the equation is pretty Gutterish of you.
You're right, there no guarantee he would have won any at KU.
Or, that he would have won 1. Or 2. Or 3. Or 4. Or 5. Or 6.........
My bringing his winning 3 championships in to the "equation" when someone pointed out that Self is better than Roi at 75 out of 100 coaching characteristics - may be "Gutterish" but I feel it's also extremely valid to the topic.
The main objective of a "Blue Blood" program is to win a championship.
Whatever "characteristics" Self is superior to Roi in/at, Roi has 3 rings and Bill has 1.
Whatever "characteristic/s" winning champiosnships fall under, it's been/in/to Roi's advantage over Bill's. That's all I was conveying. Make of it as you will. Which you obviously already have.
Just doing your job....got it.

FYI, a show of hands of Jayhawk fans who would rather have Roy over Bill for the past 17 years is going to be a really small group.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:46 pm
It does? I think it's talked about a lot. Certainly within the league.

The one un-fun thing about being a KU/Self fan is that the tournament isn't usually a ton of fun. Always a hot mess of nerves no matter the opponent.
Deleted User 289

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:51 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 pm

No guarantee that Roy would have won any championships at KU. Bringing it into the equation is pretty Gutterish of you.
You're right, there no guarantee he would have won any at KU.
Or, that he would have won 1. Or 2. Or 3. Or 4. Or 5. Or 6.........
My bringing his winning 3 championships in to the "equation" when someone pointed out that Self is better than Roi at 75 out of 100 coaching characteristics - may be "Gutterish" but I feel it's also extremely valid to the topic.
The main objective of a "Blue Blood" program is to win a championship.
Whatever "characteristics" Self is superior to Roi in/at, Roi has 3 rings and Bill has 1.
Whatever "characteristic/s" winning champiosnships fall under, it's been/in/to Roi's advantage over Bill's. That's all I was conveying. Make of it as you will. Which you obviously already have.
Just doing your job....got it.

FYI, a show of hands of Jayhawk fans who would rather have Roy over Bill for the past 17 years is going to be a really small group.
JFC
Just doing YOUR job. How did I do? ;)

"FYI", You're probably right. And?
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:53 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:46 pm
It does? I think it's talked about a lot. Certainly within the league.

The one un-fun thing about being a KU/Self fan is that the tournament isn't usually a ton of fun. Always a hot mess of nerves no matter the opponent.
it’s talked about by those that pay attention, not much by the casual fans (even those that are season ticket holders in some instances)

KU fans are spoiled, if not downright entitled at times
Deleted User 289

Imagine being a UCLA fan from let's say 1960 to 1980.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:26 am It happens more often than some think.

About happened Saturday too.

One small gripe that I have about Self is that he's kind of like Andy Reid and the Chiefs. They have a tendency to coast. Which is completely understandable, but it seems like KU doesn't beat teams like a drum anymore. Do they have games where they are clearly better and they are constantly ahead by 10-15 and it stays that way til the end, yeah. But it would be nice to just come out and make a 15 point lead at half a 30 point win.

That doesn't happen much.
At no point in last night's game did I ever get the feeling KU was coasting. They just stopped making shots, sucked at free throws and failed to adjust after Texas got their big man back from foul trouble.