Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:03 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:50 pm
Then he'll probably transfer.
Wouldn't surprise me. If he was taller or more skilled, I'd think his future was brighter. But he's 6'7" and was ranked 97th in his class. He already behind Clemence with 6'8" Top 50 recruit Zuby Ejiofor and 6'10" Top 30 recruit Ernest Udeh coming in behind him. If both of those two come to Lawrence by the beginning of summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams transfer before the beginning of next season after seeing the writing on the wall.
97th? He wasn't that low in any of the services. Average (RSCI) 66th.
Sorry, he was 93rd on the Rivals list I looked at, not 97th. My medication is giving me some blurred vision issues.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2021
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:27 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:14 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:09 pm

KJ is only 6'7" yet is the biggest guy in those videos. He isn't going to get to face a bunch of 5'10" skinny white kids any more.
Knew this response would be coming. Point of the video is his projection to play out on the wing and the vid shows he has some perimeter skills.
I hope that another summer of practice and some offseason work with the coaches leads to him being able to do that next year for Kansas.
He has natural parts you can't teach--physique and motor, so kind of like an exciting ball of clay at this point. Drew comparisons to Mark Vital, which is useful.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:30 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:27 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:14 pm

Knew this response would be coming. Point of the video is his projection to play out on the wing and the vid shows he has some perimeter skills.
I hope that another summer of practice and some offseason work with the coaches leads to him being able to do that next year for Kansas.
He has natural parts you can't teach--physique and motor, so kind of like an exciting ball of clay at this point. Drew comparisons to Mark Vital, which is useful.
I hope he sticks around long enough to develop into that. That would be fantastic.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:03 pm
Wouldn't surprise me. If he was taller or more skilled, I'd think his future was brighter. But he's 6'7" and was ranked 97th in his class. He already behind Clemence with 6'8" Top 50 recruit Zuby Ejiofor and 6'10" Top 30 recruit Ernest Udeh coming in behind him. If both of those two come to Lawrence by the beginning of summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams transfer before the beginning of next season after seeing the writing on the wall.
Sorry, he was 93rd on the Rivals list I looked at, not 97th. My medication is giving me some blurred vision issues.

Hell, now that Mitch is starting... KJ actually was a higher ranked recruit than any of our current starters.

Doesn't mean much... Other than saying that his recruiting ranking is not indicative of him not being good enough to be a major contributor eventually.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:46 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:29 pm

Hell, now that Mitch is starting... KJ actually was a higher ranked recruit than any of our current starters.

Doesn't mean much... Other than saying that his recruiting ranking is not indicative of him not being good enough to be a major contributor eventually.
Depends on the site, but CB was in the 50's, 60's.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Was using RSCI, he wasn't in top 100 there
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:53 pm KJ seems to me like a slightly more talented Jamari
I've been making that comparison since before he got here. both are high motor high energy athletes. KJ has a lot more basketball skill than jamari did tho. i think KJ could potentially add some outside shooting? If so he could be a really nice college player. But he 100 percent brings the athleticism/hustle/mobility you want from a modern forward.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

and to everyone making the dave or mitch argument. I think this years team is more about dave AND mitch not dave OR mitch. both are needed. we are lucky to have to upperclassman bigs to rotate like them. yeah neither one is udoka but the team is absolutely loaded on the wing and with playmaking and versatility. so we should be good if those 2 just buy into their role and play it well. they will each perform better against slightly different match ups.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

dave might do best if he learns to play more like mitch honestly. mitch gets his role, hes bought in. dave is just bigger. if he kept things simple the way mitch does he could be very effective with his size
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:15 pm dave might do best if he learns to play more like mitch honestly. mitch gets his role, hes bought in. dave is just bigger. if he kept things simple the way mitch does he could be very effective with his size
very true
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:15 pm dave might do best if he learns to play more like mitch honestly. mitch gets his role, hes bought in. dave is just bigger. if he kept things simple the way mitch does he could be very effective with his size
I don't think the issue is Dave not understanding his role as it is Dave consistently executing what he is supposed to do in his role. He just gets nervous and fumbly sometimes. His last game shows us that he has the ability to perform at an excellent level. He just needs to perform at or near that level at a far more consistent rate.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What twocoach said.
He knows when he's f'd up.
He's a bit of a head case -- hopefully Self can get him figured out for the next 3 months.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:12 pm
I don't think the issue is Dave not understanding his role as it is Dave consistently executing what he is supposed to do in his role. He just gets nervous and fumbly sometimes. His last game shows us that he has the ability to perform at an excellent level. He just needs to perform at or near that level at a far more consistent rate.
i agree with the nervous and fumbly thing but no I think he tries to force his offense a little too much taking turnaround fadeaways and long 2's, that sort of thing. he was quite good last game cause he focused on rebounding and simple post moves
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He hit a turnaround fadeaway and a hook after stepping away from the double that Mitch could never make. I don't think he needs to get rid of that from his shot selection. I don't think Self does either or he'd have pulled him.

That 17 footer early in the shot clock after we had missed like 12 shots in a row was dumb though.
None of those please.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Without looking: who are the top three players on our current in terms of their ranking as recruits, per the RSCI (i.e. average)? First and third were fairly easy, the second one surprised me.

It's kinda wild that this team, considered one of our better teams, has only one McDonald's AA, and doesn't start a single top 100 (per RSCI) player. Not sure what to take away from that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Calling RSCI an "average" isn't quite correct, but I will guess McCormack, Wilson, and Clemence?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd also have DMac and Wilson.
I remember Clemence being ranked higher than KJ so that's a good guess.
Was Coleman Lands a top 100?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:54 pm
It's kinda wild that this team, considered one of our better teams, has only one McDonald's AA, and doesn't start a single top 100 (per RSCI) player. Not sure what to take away from that.
That we are damn lucky Self is an elite coach when it comes to player development? Because without a fair chance on the recruiting trail the last few years due to adidas likely laying low we haven't landed the amount of high end talent we are used to.

Which highlights how great Self is when you give him 3 or 4 years with guys like Frank CB Och Graham and even guys like Landen and Mitch. They maximize what they have in them.

It's a complete reverse from my stance at the time, but a guy like Diallo should have stayed 3 or 4 years and he'd have had a much better chance of being a Pascal Siakam type in the NBA. Rather than chasing the first check and the expense of who knows how many others. He needed more focused coaching. Trainers are great, but there is a reason those trainers aren't making 100x income being high level coaches.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We have 4 potential top 100s next season though, no?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Diallo shoulda got more clock here ( ncaa partly to blame here ) and I agree he shoulda stayed one more year...but hes locked onto a NBA career so you cant say he made a wrong decision.