Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:29 pm During March Madness I brought a 40" Samsung TV out of hibernation and put it on the coffee table so I could have another game on in the background in addition to my primary TV and streaming on my iPad. The TV has been there ever since, and even tho I live alone and don't care all that much, it's negatively impacting the Feng shui of my abode.

So, I ordered a TV stand on wheels and it arrive today and I assembled it and was getting ready to mount the TV to it, but the bolts that came with the stand didn't fit the holes in the back of the TV. This TV is probably 14-15 years old, but I Goggled the model # and it came up and I found the owner's manual online (which was no help) and support on the Samsung website and was about to call and see if they could tell me what size bolt I needed to try to find at a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes, when it dawned on me...I have close to 50 years of screws and bolts and washers and nails and and everything else left over from nearly everything I've ever assembled in two plastic cabinets of small drawers out in my garage. Just yesterday I was considering getting rid of them and a bunch of other stuff, so I can downsize some more and eventually get rid of the $250/month storage space I'm wasting money on. (I hate living where you can't have a basement.)

Bingo! The 4 bolts I needed were uncharacteristically long, but I'll be damed if I didn't have 2 sets of two different bolts that i managed to make work, and now I don't have to ____ with calling Samsung or chasing the parts tomorrow!

Faith in a lifetime of hoarding restored! All those times I almost threw them away but took the trouble to save that random whatever finally paid off! And to think I was just considering getting rid of them yesterday. It's like I walked back from the edge, or something.
my grandfather was famous for keeping (and lableling) every random bolt he accumulated. I do this too, though not as extreme. When he died somehow I am the one who ended up with his stash. It's alive and well inntge shop and admittedly has been handy, though I've nearly tossed them multiple times over the years.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:05 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:29 pm During March Madness I brought a 40" Samsung TV out of hibernation and put it on the coffee table so I could have another game on in the background in addition to my primary TV and streaming on my iPad. The TV has been there ever since, and even tho I live alone and don't care all that much, it's negatively impacting the Feng shui of my abode.

So, I ordered a TV stand on wheels and it arrive today and I assembled it and was getting ready to mount the TV to it, but the bolts that came with the stand didn't fit the holes in the back of the TV. This TV is probably 14-15 years old, but I Goggled the model # and it came up and I found the owner's manual online (which was no help) and support on the Samsung website and was about to call and see if they could tell me what size bolt I needed to try to find at a hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes, when it dawned on me...I have close to 50 years of screws and bolts and washers and nails and and everything else left over from nearly everything I've ever assembled in two plastic cabinets of small drawers out in my garage. Just yesterday I was considering getting rid of them and a bunch of other stuff, so I can downsize some more and eventually get rid of the $250/month storage space I'm wasting money on. (I hate living where you can't have a basement.)

Bingo! The 4 bolts I needed were uncharacteristically long, but I'll be damed if I didn't have 2 sets of two different bolts that i managed to make work, and now I don't have to ____ with calling Samsung or chasing the parts tomorrow!

Faith in a lifetime of hoarding restored! All those times I almost threw them away but took the trouble to save that random whatever finally paid off! And to think I was just considering getting rid of them yesterday. It's like I walked back from the edge, or something.
my grandfather was famous for keeping (and lableling) every random bolt he accumulated. I do this too, though not as extreme. When he died somehow I am the one who ended up with his stash. It's alive and well inntge shop and admittedly has been handy, though I've nearly tossed them multiple times over the years.
Wow, no disrespect, but taking the time and trouble to label them is next level, anal retention* stuff.

Which makes me curious, was he that way about everything?

*aka., Obsessive compulsive. Being anal-retentive, an anal personality, is thought of as someone with an extreme need to control their environment or situations. A person with an anal personality will also have an obsessive attention to detail (even non-essential details) to the point that it might annoy others.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:23 am

Wow, no disrespect, but taking the time and trouble to label them is next level, anal retention* stuff.

*aka., Obsessive compulsive. Being anal-retentive, an anal personality, is thought of as someone with an extreme need to control their environment or situations. A person with an anal personality will also have an obsessive attention to detail (even non-essential details) to the point that it might annoy others.
he liked things organized and labeled as much as possible yes. He was a (congregationalist) preacher, a college professor, and a WW2 vet/medic...all of which had some role in his nees to be organized I think.

I mean the individual bolts weren't labeled but..a slide drawer labeled "cotter pins", then "split washers", then "10/24 bolts" then "picture frame wire' and on and on
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

That's actually not so much OCD as disciplined. The time spent labeling is easily surpassed in looking at random collections of stuff. We are slaves to leisure time in the modern world aka time wasting.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:46 am

he liked things organized and labeled as much as possible yes. He was a (congregationalist) preacher, a college professor, and a WW2 vet/medic...all of which had some role in his nees to be organized I think.

I mean the individual bolts weren't labeled but..a slide drawer labeled "cotter pins", then "split washers", then "10/24 bolts" then "picture frame wire' and on and on
My bad, I misunderstood what you meant by "...keeping (and lableling) every random bolt he accumulated..."
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:41 am
TDub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:46 am

My bad, I misunderstood what you meant by "...keeping (and lableling) every random bolt he accumulated..."
yea, it was poorly worded. I meant as opposed to many garages and shops I've been on that have a bucket of random bolts and parts that has to be sorted through to find anything. I throw those buckets away...not worth the effort.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I used to keep random fasteners in 2 gallon buckets until they started cluttering my shop. It was at that point that I figured all of my friends could use them so I gave them away as Christmas presents. All were happy to receive them as a gift and some friends still have them.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What the hell did Dolly Parton do? Get a vaccine, drink a bud lite? What's up with the maga hate? She go all Dixie Chicks or something?
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:07 pm What the hell did Dolly Parton do? Get a vaccine, drink a bud lite? What's up with the maga hate? She go all Dixie Chicks or something?
She committed the sin of trying to save the lives of millions of people?

From 'Jolene' To Vaccine: Dolly Parton Gets COVID-19 Shot She Helped Fund

Country music legend Dolly Parton got a taste of her own medicine on Tuesday when she received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine whose research she helped fund.

Parton, 75, documented the moment in a video posted to social media in which she encouraged eligible viewers to get the shot and broke into a modified rendition of "Jolene" to that effect.

"Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, I'm begging of you please don't hesitate," she sang. "Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, 'cause once you're dead then that's a bit too late."

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Got it on my first guess. Kid Rock gonna blast one of her albums?
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:21 pm Got it on my first guess. Kid Rock gonna blast one of her albums?
dammit, take it to the music thread. I won't take it back! haha
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:30 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:21 pm Got it on my first guess. Kid Rock gonna blast one of her albums?
dammit, take it to the music thread. I won't take it back! haha
Ha! I didn't know you posted that.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Today's LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG edition off Gutter's yin and yang...

Two days ago I was in a candy shop. Elderly frail lady in front of me paying for her candy. Low wage worker at this "chain" couldn't have been more kind and patient with the lady. Told her she should fill up her container because she's paying the same amount of money no matter if the container is empty or full. Offered to get another employee to assist her. The elderly lady dropped some change out of her purse. Without hesitation, the employee came around the counter and helped her pick it up. Employee was happy, kind/compassionate, everything you would hope your child would be in the same situation.
I told her how great I felt she is/was and that she should feel good about herself. She appreciated it.
Yesterday I walked by the same place and saw the employee in the window. I decided it would be nice if I told her manager that I recognized the employee was great and tell the manger why I felt as such - so I did.
Made the employee feel good, made the manager feel good, made me feel good.

Fast forward to today. I placed an on-line order to pick up a TOASTED bagel with cream cheese and one other bagel (individual - no cream cheese) on the way to work. I gave a significant tip (25%).
I arrived to pick up my order and none of the 3 employees at the counter greeted me. No hello, no good morning, no nothing.
I proceeded to take my order off of the shelf they have for pick up orders and I said "thank you" to them. Again, not a single word from any of the 3 employees but they did hear and see me.
I got to my office and opened the bag.
A. The bagel was NOT toasted.
B. The specific individual bagel I ordered was not the specific individual bagel that I had ordered.
I ordered a plain bagel and they gave me a honey whole wheat bagel. I suppose close, and possibly forgivable, but still 100% wrong.
I checked the receipt, and on the receipt it clearly said my name (so I know I took the right bag), and the receipt also clearly said exactly what I had ordered - including Bagel and cream cheese "Bagel toasted please. Thank You!", and single bagel plain.
Coincidence that the "Server's" name on my order was Jack M (as in Jack Mehoff?)?

Moral of the story is ??????
All that and about $20 of my money got me a couple of stories to share on here - and point out that I feel it's a shame when I feel good customer service is rare these days - and I feel the need/desire to give praise and recognition for it - while there are no repercussions for shitty customer service?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:56 am Today's LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG edition off Gutter's yin and yang...

Two days ago I was in a candy shop. Elderly frail lady in front of me paying for her candy. Low wage worker at this "chain" couldn't have been more kind and patient with the lady. Told her she should fill up her container because she's paying the same amount of money no matter if the container is empty or full. Offered to get another employee to assist her. The elderly lady dropped some change out of her purse. Without hesitation, the employee came around the counter and helped her pick it up. Employee was happy, kind/compassionate, everything you would hope your child would be in the same situation.
I told her how great I felt she is/was and that she should feel good about herself. She appreciated it.
Yesterday I walked by the same place and saw the employee in the window. I decided it would be nice if I told her manager that I recognized the employee was great and tell the manger why I felt as such - so I did.
Made the employee feel good, made the manager feel good, made me feel good.

Fast forward to today. I placed an on-line order to pick up a TOASTED bagel with cream cheese and one other bagel (individual - no cream cheese) on the way to work. I gave a significant tip (25%).
I arrived to pick up my order and none of the 3 employees at the counter greeted me. No hello, no good morning, no nothing.
I proceeded to take my order off of the shelf they have for pick up orders and I said "thank you" to them. Again, not a single word from any of the 3 employees but they did hear and see me.
I got to my office and opened the bag.
A. The bagel was NOT toasted.
B. The specific individual bagel I ordered was not the specific individual bagel that I had ordered.
I ordered a plain bagel and they gave me a honey whole wheat bagel. I suppose close, and possibly forgivable, but still 100% wrong.
I checked the receipt, and on the receipt it clearly said my name (so I know I took the right bag), and the receipt also clearly said exactly what I had ordered - including Bagel and cream cheese "Bagel toasted please. Thank You!", and single bagel plain.
Coincidence that the "Server's" name on my order was Jack M (as in Jack Mehoff?)?

Moral of the story is ??????
All that and about $20 of my money got me a couple of stories to share on here - and point out that I feel it's a shame when I feel good customer service is rare these days - and I feel the need/desire to give praise and recognition for it - while there are no repercussions for shitty customer service?

Icing on the cake. Co-worker ordered lunch for me today. Homage burger NO CHEESE. Even says it on the receipt.

Ummmmmm.....

Yes, I was able to and took the cheese off of it.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i love that your receipt says gutter
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

also my favorite part
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Epic!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

just read that, supposedly, you aren’t even supposed to press down on the french press…just let the coffee brew and then leave the press at the top to function as a filter of sorts

really?

then why the fuck is it called a french PRESS?!?!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:59 pm just read that, supposedly, you aren’t even supposed to press down on the french press…just let the coffee brew and then leave the press at the top to function as a filter of sorts

really?

then why the fuck is it called a french PRESS?!?!
Wut